PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I give up Koala!

ben44b
January 2nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
Greetings for the New Year!

I upgraded to Karmic when it came out in the fall. I have an Intel 845G Brookdale chipset. I have finally given up /finding/waiting for a solution. I don't want to run in safe graphics mode anymore. I bought a new 19" monitor and I want to make the most of it.

Can anyone suggest another Linux distribution that is similar to Ubuntu (for non-geeks) that isn't a hassle to install?

Thank you.

MelDJ
January 2nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
linux mint

raymondh
January 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
9.04 did not work as well? Have you tried the older 8.04 LTS?

Regards,

raymond

Mark Phelps
January 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
9.04 did not work as well? Have you tried the older 8.04 LTS?

Regards,

raymond

+1! The Ubuntu 9.x series have become infamous with their Intel driver problems!

I have an Intel-915 laptop running 8.04 and it works great!

haribol707
January 2nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
+1 for Ubuntu 9.04.

Revolutionary101
January 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
linux mint

Linux Mint is based off Ubuntu's kernel. I doubt that his problems with Ubuntu will be fixed by switching to a distro that is basically a copy of Ubuntu.

QIII
January 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Just a word: Drivers are in the bailiwick of the OEM. That the drivers do not work well in Ubuntu is not necessarily a dig on Ubuntu. If you were Intel (in the WinTel syndicate), how quick would you be to make sure your drivers worked well with a system that withholds revenue from your mother's teat?

Be realistic. Microsoft and Intel are trying to make money, which is what businesses do.

That said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using WHATEVER WORKS, be that an older version of Ubuntu, an entirely different distribution completely or even (hack, cough) Windows. The point is that one should use what works for them.

I agree with some of the other posters regarding an older version of Ubuntu. Use what works.