PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is access to Samba shares so darn slow?

Objekt
January 2nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
Why does it take an eon or so to browse to folders being shared by Windows machines on the local network? When I open Places->Network and then double-click "Windows Network," it takes a good minute or two before the Windows workgroup shows up.

Then, when I double-click on a machine to access its shared folders, it's another few minutes before they show up.

Once I can finally see the shared folders on the machine, I double-click on the desired share, and it's yet another few minutes before the folder opens.

It should be possible to get to where I'm going in seconds, but it takes at least 10 minutes total, for no apparent reason.

Why is getting to Samba shares so incredibly slow? One of the shared folders I want to access is actually on a virtual Windows XP machine, which exists only inside a Virtualbox session. Putting files in its "Shared Documents" folder should be the easiest way to pass it files, but it is often more expedient to use K3B to burn a *.iso file containing the desired files, then mount it in the virtual machine's CDROM drive.

Note that I'm not complaining about transfer rates. Once I finally get the Windows machine's shared folder open, I can copy files to it as quickly as anywhere else. It's just painful getting the folder open.