PDA

View Full Version : Maddening WiFi dropping issue

skkppy
January 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hello all, let me start off by saying i am a complete noob when it comes to linux and ubuntu...
here is what im running, nbr 9.10

ok i am having a horrible problem with it dropping wifi, and unfortunately i am almost certain that it is ubuntu's fault :(. i have concluded this becuse i have tried going back to windows 7 and it does not have any issues, so i dont think it would be hardware related

the problem is that i will periodically loose internet access, it seems like about every hour it will disconnect and start searching for a signal. but while it will be searching, it will still display signal strength accurately. also the amount of time that it drops the internet will lessen with batterylife.

i dont know if i described this well enough for some one to help me, if i did not just ask please i would really like to fix this.

Thanks!

MightyVikingJim
January 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
I'm experiencing the same problem, Skkppy. What type of wireless card are you using? I've got a similar problem to you on my Thinkpad R40 with 9.10 on it. This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1319999\) thread suggests changing your router's wireless encryption from WEP to WPA, which might work.

skkppy
January 2nd, 2010, 02:27 AM
urg, unfortunately changing to wpa did not do it for me. i am running an acer aspire aspire one, its the version with the n280 processor and the connectivity is 802.11b/g/Draft-N, idk if that helps.

anybody??