PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues with wireless on Ubuntu 9.10

honestguvnor
January 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on 3 different computers with 3 different, apparently well supported, wireless chips. None of them are working properly but, after a fair amount of messing about, all can connect after a fashion before slowing to unusable levels and/or losing the connection. The hardware works fine with other operating systems including an old linux distribution in one case.

I would like to understand why Ubuntu 9.10 is having wireless problems to this extent and if they are likely to get worse or better in the future. Can anyone please point me at discussions about the issues rather than symptoms/fixes?

Ferretti
January 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM
What wireless cards are they? I'm sure if you specified what cards they are, it would make it easier to find drivers for them.

honestguvnor
January 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM
What wireless cards are they? I'm sure if you specified what cards they are, it would make it easier to find drivers for them.
Thanks for the response but my question was not about how to fix the problems with the particular chips (2 Atheros and 1 Ralink) but more what is causing this level of wireless problems to arise with Ubuntu 9.10. For example, has a whole bunch of unstable code been introduced in 9.10 for some reason? Is this a one off or will future releases be the same? Is Debian stable and Ubuntu unstable? Have large changes in the most recent kernels triggered the problems? Etc...

My reason for asking is to determine whether Ubuntu is a wise choice for a distribution that has a recent kernel and is stable enough to use.

Ferretti
January 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM
I believe that many users are having this same issue with wireless cards because of the new kernel that 9.10 runs on. When I updated I too lost my wireless and had to reinstall it off the Ubuntu 9.10 LiveCD.