PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network question for 9.10

Firch
January 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM
I'm attempting to use my laptop as bridge and I've found that Firestarter has brought me the closest to success than anything else. My problem is that when I run the firewall it says that the connection eth0 is not ready. I've checked and rechecked my network tools and everything is enabled. I was wondering if anybody knew where I'm going wrong?

sir_cheats_a_lot
January 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
yeah i had that same problem until i installed the dhcp server package. i still have no net on the second computer, however. i do get a progress bar at the bottom of my browser now, though.. it just never goes anywhere.

out of curiousity.. what does your network setup look like? might help us figure out where the current or any other issue might be/occur.

Iowan
January 3rd, 2010, 01:34 AM
I haven't worked with ufw, Firestarter, or iptables. Depending on where the "eth0 not ready" message is occurring, it might be Network Manager complaining because the interface is configured in /etc/network/interfaces (although that message is usually "not managed")

I looked for some articles on bridging, but this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkConnectionBridge) one is for 6.06.

Firch
January 3rd, 2010, 08:21 AM
I've done a bunch of reading up on the subject and all I'm trying to do is allow my laptop which is wireless, to act as a bridge between the wireless router and some unit that I can't get wireless on using an ethernet hook up. The next thing I'm going to try is a static IP, I've read that that has helped other people with similar problems. what's the dhcp server package?

Iowan
January 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
what's the dhcp server package? dhcp3-server is the standard - I prefer dnsmasq as it ties DHCP and DNS together so you can refer to DHCP clients by hostname.