PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mmc0: Unknown controller version (16)

digger61
December 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to use the 9.10 Live CD fort he first time and the startup hangs after setting preliminary keymap with the error:

mmc0: Unknown controller version (16)

and then freezes.

This is uses a PHILIPS freevents X56 laptop that I want to move from Windows XP to Ubuntu once I have proved it works OK.

I get the same with the Ubuntu 8.04.3 Desktop Live DC as well.

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks,
Jon

Conkerama
December 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hi

I too am trying to install onto a Phillips Freevents x56, and am having the exact same problem. Tried installing from WUBI first, and then a Live CD, and both installs froze at the same point. Once I'd got rid of the splash screen, I was able to confirm that it was at the same line as yours:

mmc0: Unknown controller version (16) you may experience problems

Thanks for the warning!

A bit of a google indicates that this is a well known issue with these H12Y laptops.

There is a good, recent description of the workaround here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/images/misc/navbits_finallink_ltr.gif [ubuntu] Freevents x56 and ubuntu 9.10 install - How I did it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316848&highlight=freevents)

You want to go first? My X56 is in daily use and I'm a complete Linux ignoramus, so I don't want to mess about too much.

Jackie

Conkerama
December 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM
EDITED OUT a second post about an older workaround, which the one above has superseded now!

digger61
December 31st, 2009, 12:43 AM
Hi,

Just to say I followed the updated post you put up and the instructions work perfectly for 9.10.

I'm going to have to look into getting the card reader working as I need that for transfering audio recordings.

Thanks,
Jon

Conkerama
December 31st, 2009, 01:23 AM
Good job, Jon. I will follow your lead and go for it tomorrow. Pray do me a favour and keep me posted on this thread if you do find a fix for the card reader, as mine is in constant use.