PDA

View Full Version : Completely clear hard drive

saltydogs
December 30th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Hello all! Son wants to sell laptop to a college friend, but he wants to sell it without anything on the hard drive. No files, drivers, operating system, nothing! Wipe it clean.
How does he go about this?
The hard drive currently has Ubuntu 9.10

taurus
December 30th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Boot with Ubuntu LiveCD. Then, open gparted (System -> Administration) and unmount the swap partition (you would see a double-key in front of that partition). Once everything is unmounted, delete all the partitions from the harddrive and format it to fat32 filesystem.

Now, his friend can install whatever he/she wants on an empty harddrive.

phillw
December 30th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I'm a little less trusting..

Boot with LiveCD
Mount the drive

ls /dev/sd?

that will list all devices, and partitions - make sure you get the correct disk if you have more than one in the machine
You're looking for sda if it's the only disk in the machine - if you have more than one, or it is an external disk - make sure you select the correct one !!!

sudo dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdX Where X is the letter of the drive to be erased - Once issued, there is no second chance.

After that, you can partition it up with FAT32.

Depends how 'deleted' you want the disk to be whether you use the dd on it first.

Regards,

Phill.

oldfred
December 30th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Why not reinstall a new copy of Ubuntu to help promote the use of Ubuntu?

saltydogs
December 30th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the responses! I rebooted with Live CD and chose "Try Unbuntu without any changes". I opened GParted and found 3 separate partitions:
/dev/sda1 ext4 73.11 GiB size 3.57 GiB 69.54 GiB boot
/dev/sda2 (double-key) extended 1.42 GiB size
/dev/sda5 (double-key) linux-swap 1.42 Gib size

Under the "Partition" tab;
Unmount is not available to choose in either /dev/sda partitions, although the /dev/sda5 has Swapoff available to choose.

I am a newbie with all of this, so I don't understand what you mean with;

"Mount the drive"

or;
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdX
or;

"Where X is the letter of the drive to be erased"
"After that, you can partition it up with FAT32"
What does all that mean?

I want the hard drive completely empty.

taurus
December 30th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Swapoff is what you have to run to unmount the swap partition. Then, click the last partition and remove it. Then move on the next one until the whole harddrive is unallocated.

saltydogs
December 30th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I clicked "Swapoff' and got a "Could Not Deactivate Swap" message. So that didn't work.

Am I supposed to choose "Try Ubuntu without any changes" when the computer boots with the LiveCD?

saltydogs
December 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I did another LiveCD reboot and went through the hard drive cleaning process with sucess. I decided to reboot (without LiveCD) just to take a look at what was there, if anything.
I now get a
"Grub Loading" message, followed by
error: no such partition
grub rescue>_

How do I remove that error message?
And how do I get the Grub loader off of the hard drive?

saltydogs
December 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Another boot with the LiveCD, then to GParted resulted in 1 drive;

/dev/sda unallocated 74.53 GiB

But I cannot do any sort of unmount, format, manage flags, etc.

I don't want to sell this kid a computer with anything on the hard drive, no unallocated partitions, no grub error on boot, nothing. Just a blank hard drive!

phillw
December 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Another boot with the LiveCD, then to GParted resulted in 1 drive;

/dev/sda unallocated 74.53 GiB

But I cannot do any sort of unmount, format, manage flags, etc.

I don't want to sell this kid a computer with anything on the hard drive, no unallocated partitions, no grub error on boot, nothing. Just a blank hard drive!

Hi

Unallocated = no partitions, no file system aka blank hard drive :)

It is possible to recover after deleting partitions, but it's a lot of work

You could, as previously noted allocate the entire disk as one partition of FAT32 - It'll make it a bit easier on the recipient. Don't forget to include a CD with the Version of Ubuntu you were running on the computer - That way the recipient may just be tempted to 'give it a go' - As you know it works with the computer.

Regards,

Phill.

Phill.

saltydogs
December 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Phillw, thanks for the reply.

Unallocated = no partitions, no file system aka blank hard drive :smile: I still don't understand why, when I boot the PC, the "Grub Loading" message comes up. Why is my boot sequence trying to access Grub? Is the Grub loader in my BIOS memory?
How do I remove Grub, and any access to it, from my computer?
I would be upset if I bought a computer and a Grub error message came up before I even load any sort of Operating System. The person buying the computer has the right to install whichever OS they desire.
Do I have to go out and buy a brand new hard drive to replace the "Grub Infested" one currently installed?

audiomick
December 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
What you are seeing is in the Master Boot Record of the drive, as far as I know. Installing any OS will overwrite that, i.e. it will be gone as soon as the buyer installs an OS. If it were a windows machine with a wiped drive, I am pretty sure you would be seeing "I can't boot windows" errors.

The Ubuntu install, which you said was 9.10, presumably had grub 2 as a boot loader. Is this true?

You could try this. It is derived from the "uninstalling" instructions from here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Boot into the live CD

do

sudo apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
in a terminal.

I do not know if this will really work, but my logic says it should.

J V
December 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
sudo dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdX
can't you just use the shred command?

sudo shred -fxz /dev/sdX

jml
December 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
If you are really paranoid, you could do a full disc erase/overwrite procedure. This process literally writes data to the entire disc then "erases" it. This renders the old data virtually unreadable except for groups like the NSA. There are several companies that sell software to do this, along with companies that offer free versions. Here is a link to one that I "Googled" I also agree with including a copy of Ubuntu with the wiped computer.

http://www.killdisk.com/features.htm

Joe

audiomick
January 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Hi.
I think this thread has gone to sleep, but I just found this
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p18.html
in another thread here. It deals with removing Ubuntu and Grub.
I thought I would add it here in case someone turns up this thread in a search.

Cheesemill
January 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
I always use a dban CD to wipe my hard drives:
http://www.dban.org/