PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Sound - Fujitsu Amilo 1450G - Help a good cause.

Jeconti
December 30th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I'm rehabing some old computers my brother gave to me since he's moving. My plan is to give them away to low income families who just need a machine to surf and type on.

I'm having some trouble getting the sound to work on the aforementioned laptop. I've been doing some research, but the hardware is so old that most of the links are dead or outdated.

Can anyone help?

sparky8251
December 30th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I just solved a no audio problem myself. Type this in to a terminal:

aplay -l

And post the results.

Jeconti
December 30th, 2009, 03:50 AM
device_list:223: no soundcards found...

sparky8251
December 30th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Ok. Thats what happend to me. So I downloaded the ALSA drivers source code (the first packages in the list) from here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download

and compiled it with these commands (assuming you extracted the .tar.bz2 file to your home directory):

cd alsa-driver-1.0.22.1

./configure

make

sudo make install

Now at the "make" command if you get some errors saying that
you need certain packages, so use "sudo apt-get install" followed by the name of the packages that it requires. Then re-type type the
commands above to compile the driver and reboot. The volume may be muted so you'll want to check that. This worked for me so hopefully it'll work for you. Have any questions just ask.

Jeconti
December 30th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Recompiled, reinstalled, and still nothing. The system recognises no installed audio hardware. Aplay still yields no results on the soundcard.

sparky8251
December 30th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Try typing this into the terminal:

lspci -v

Find the audio device and paste what follows in your next post.

Jeconti
December 30th, 2009, 06:23 AM
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions Device 10a7
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at ffe38000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

sparky8251
December 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Sorry for the wait, but I had some trouble with my comp. Ok so according to the "lspci -v' command you have the driver for your sound card installed; It just doesn't load at boot time. You need to type this:

sudo gedit /etc/modules

Into a terminal and on create a new line at the bottom that says:

snd-hda-intel

Save the file and reboot. Your driver should now load and you should have audio.

Jeconti
December 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
No such luck I'm afraid. How do I force grub2 to boot in recovery mode so I can watch what happens when it tries to load the module?

sparky8251
December 31st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Not quite sure how to do that... but I'll look into it and you should too.

sparky8251
December 31st, 2009, 01:05 AM
Found a way to boot into recovery mode. In a terminal type this:

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

Then run:

sudo startupmanager

You will see an option called "Default Operating System" Change the setting to recovery mode and close the program. Reboot and you will be in recovery mode. You can use the same program to boot into the normal the operating system by changing the "Default Operating System" back to generic.

manco
December 31st, 2009, 02:16 AM
I'm rehabing some old computers my brother gave to me since he's moving. My plan is to give them away to low income families who just need a machine to surf and type on.

I'm having some trouble getting the sound to work on the aforementioned laptop. I've been doing some research, but the hardware is so old that most of the links are dead or outdated.

Can anyone help?
I don't have a solution to your problem, but I'm having some sound issues with my PC as well.

I noticed that messing with the output on the sound preferences sometimes gave me sound.

Hope that helps

Jeconti
January 2nd, 2010, 01:22 AM
Used the startup manager to use recovery mode. It was no more revealing. I did hunt through the logs to see if they had anything to tell. kern.log is the only one with reference to the module at all. Even though /etc/modules.conf has an entry for snd-intel-hda, I can't find any evidence that it's loading, or if the module is installed in the first place.

Dec 31 15:49:42 Laptop kernel: [ 7.259162] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: irq 25 for MSI/MSI-X
Dec 31 15:49:42 Laptop kernel: [ 7.259192] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: setting latency timer to 64
Dec 31 15:49:42 Laptop kernel: [ 7.288062] ALSA hda_intel.c:2571: no codecs found!
Dec 31 15:49:42 Laptop kernel: [ 7.288123] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A disabled

That's all I have at this moment.

Thanks for continuing to help. Happy New Year!

sparky8251
January 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
How did the audio fail? As in was it never working or was there something you did and then it stopped working? You said these were for low income families so I presume they use dial-up modems. If so what chipset do the dial-up modems use?

peepingtom
January 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I believe you can hold SHIFT to have the Grub2 selection menu pop up. By default, it won't display unless you have more than 1 kernel version installed.

Also, please tell us if sound worked when you were using a LiveCD. I don't mean to insult you :D