PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot sudo after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10.

arvinoids
December 29th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I recently upgraded our local webserver from 9.04 to 9.10. The upgrade was successful, but after that, I am not able to do sudo on the terminal anymore (also gksudo or gksu). After entering the password and pressing enter, it just goes right back to the shell. Also, if I try to launch a program that requires admin i.e. Synaptic, it asks for the password, but after entering the password it does nothing. I don't know where to start with this issue.

I am still able to login as root into recovery mode, though. Also, I don't know if this has nothing to do with the sudo problem but when I login remotely through telnet or ssh, it just disconnects the session after entering the password.

Any help? :confused:

Thanks

phillw
December 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Hi & Welcome,

It is trivial to reset the password in the recovery shell. Just type passwd along with the name of the user to reset: eg # passwd username Enter new UNIX password:

Or, as you only did an upgrade, you should still be on grub legacy... so...

If you forgot you password for your ubuntu system you can recover using the following steps Turn your computer on.
Press ESC at the grub prompt.
Press e for edit.
Highlight the line that begins kernel ………, press e
Go to the very end of the line, add rw init=/bin/bash
press enter, then press b to boot your system.
Your system will boot up to a passwordless root shell.
Type in passwd username

Should work for you.

Regards,

Phill.

arvinoids
December 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Actually, I have no problem with the password, I am confident that it is correct because if I enter an incorrect password, it gives a login incorrect error (or the "sorry" error if I am trying to sudo). So there is no reason to change the password. The problem is that it does not do anything after executing anything with sudo.

phillw
December 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
welcome back... okies .. looks like a problem with sudoers ....

This can SO easily be messed up - So, being the devout coward that I am , I'm going to send you to a "How-To" written by one of the forum Mods on the subject.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132821

I cannot stress strongly enough that you use visudo as he states.

Anyways, that should get you up and running, feel free to pop back if you get stuck.

/edit, once you get the feel of the warnings and how it works, continue reading the posts.... you'll find a link to your answer, I'm not going to post it - as it is REALLY important that you have some understanding, but it is there :-)

Regards,

Phill.

arvinoids
January 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
welcome back... okies .. looks like a problem with sudoers ....

This can SO easily be messed up - So, being the devout coward that I am , I'm going to send you to a "How-To" written by one of the forum Mods on the subject.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132821

I cannot stress strongly enough that you use visudo as he states.

Anyways, that should get you up and running, feel free to pop back if you get stuck.

/edit, once you get the feel of the warnings and how it works, continue reading the posts.... you'll find a link to your answer, I'm not going to post it - as it is REALLY important that you have some understanding, but it is there :-)

Regards,

Phill.

I went ahead and did the visudo thing by logging on through Recovery Mode. After examining the configuration, it appears that everything is correct, so I just went ahead and saved the file and exited. I restarted to log back in normal mode. I am still not able to sudo or login to the terminal or SSH to the machine. Again, the password is correct because if I logout from the desktop and log back in, it goes through.

Also, in case I have not mentioned earlier, when I go to the terminal (i.e. alt+ctrl+f1 to f6) and try to login, it does not give me a shell. It just brings back the same login prompt with no error messages or authentication problems.

Any more ideas?