PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommend MP3 Encoder For Audio Books

fullsailj
December 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I installed ubuntu on a p3 that I would like to use for encoding audio book CDs. I like to compress to 48 kbps. This machine has 3 optical drives.

I've tried 3 or 4 programs, but they all have some limitations: 1) drive selection is buried under preferences, 2) can't encode to mp3 or can't select bit rate. In the wintel world, I've used to cdex for 10 years or so on thousands of CDs.
I've tried searching the forums, but for some reason I'm not finding much that is relevant.

Can someone recommend an application I should try, or perhaps pay more attention to?

Jim

-=hazard=-
December 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM
What programs have you used?

Install encoding and decoding library:

# sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
and try again with same programs you have used.

fullsailj
December 30th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I tried that command and got:

sha256sum: arialb32.exe: No such file or directory
arialb32.exe: FAILED open or read
sha256sum: WARNING: 1 of 1 listed file could not be read
Checksum mismatch for arialb32.exe, aborting!
dpkg: error processing ttf-mscorefonts-installer (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up ubuntu-restricted-extras (36) ...
Setting up unrar (1:3.9.3-1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/unrar-nonfree to provide /usr/bin/unrar (unrar) in auto mode.

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Errors were encountered while processing:
ttf-mscorefonts-installer
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried 3 times thinking maybe there were transmission errors.

Suggestions?

FakeOutdoorsman
December 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I recommend abcde. It's command line, but don't let that scare you away from it. andrew.46 from these forums has a well written guide:

abcde: Command Line Music CD Ripping for Linux (*********************************/abcde.html)

You can copy the MP3 version of Andrew's abcde.conf and mess around with the LAMEOPTS line to customize your settings, for example:

LAMEOPTS='--preset voice'

According to LAME - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME), --preset voice is an alias for --abr 56 -mm which works well for plain voice recordings, although you may want a higher quality setting.