PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] More info on dual boot making, please!

MouseArm
December 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
The documentation just says:

"Right click on the Windows partition, which will be formatted as either NTFS or FAT32. Select resize. You can now type in the new size or move the slider."

Well, there is no option for 'resize' anywhere when I right-click on the drive, only a format option, which of course I can't do on a system drive. I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Do I do it from the Ubuntu install CD? I don't want to over-write my Win OS.

I've seen mensioning of other utilities such as Grub, but I was thinking just following the step by step instructions in the Ubuntu documentation should be enough.:x

phillw
December 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM
The documentation just says:

"Right click on the Windows partition, which will be formatted as either NTFS or FAT32. Select resize. You can now type in the new size or move the slider."

Well, there is no option for 'resize' anywhere when I right-click on the drive, only a format option, which of course I can't do on a system drive. I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Do I do it from the Ubuntu install CD? I don't want to over-write my Win OS.

I've seen mensioning of other utilities such as Grub, but I was thinking just following the step by step instructions in the Ubuntu documentation should be enough.:x

Hi & welcome to the forums. If you're running win7, I'd suggest shrinking the Win partition using the tool within Win7 --> http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/resize-partition-windows-7.htm has a how to, with screen-shots. Just shrink the area (you need, realistcally, a minimum of 10GB free space for Ubuntu) - leave it totally unused. Once you've done that, reboot you Win7 and make sure it is 'happy' - it may want to run a disk-check - let it do so BEFORE you start putting ubuntu on.
Once you're sure Win7 is 'happy' (a second boot, is a good idea) - you can boot with the LiveCD and tell it to install into the unused area.

Regards,

Phill.

Bartender
December 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm guessing you already have 4 partitions, probably all primary. When the installer sees 4 primary partitions it won't give you many options.

MouseArm
December 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have 3 partitions. The size of the system drive is 451 GB. with 96% free space. I want to split it so Win 7 will have 200 GB and Ubuntu the rest of the space.

Do I just right-click on the partition and select 'Shrink volume' and then type in the size I want to shrink it to, and Win 7 will get the new size I typed in, while there will be a new empty partition with the rest of the space where I can install Ubuntu?