PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Pulseaudio broke sound

MooPi
December 29th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I was using a terminal player "cplay for music and decided to upgrade to a graphical player "promoe" an xmms2 client. Had to install pulseaudio to get it to function. It worked until reboot. Now sound is broken. aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0Sound module

Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82bb
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at f9ff4000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

MooPi
December 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Partial change in status. Sound can be enabled but is muted after reboot. What do I need to change to get pulseaudio unmuted on reboot. I've looked at the /etc/pulse config files and can't make sense of what I'm reading.

UDon
December 29th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'm a newbie that had all kinds of problems with Pulseaudio. I ended up uninstalling it in 9.04, and then added Gnome Alsamixer, which helped me to get sound going, though like yourself everything was muted whenever I rebooted. I upgraded to 9.10, but still had lots of problems as it also reinstalled Pulseaudio.

In the end I did a clean install of 9.10 last week, and this **seems** to have fixed my audio problems. I don't have an alsamixer anymore and just rely on Pulseaudio, but everything is working, from Skype to playing movies and Youtube clips.

If it is an option, I would recommend a clean install of 9.10 (after backing up critical files, of course!)

VertexPusher
December 29th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Had to install pulseaudio to get it to function.
No.

XMMS2 supports playback through ALSA, OSS, JACK, PulseAudio and libao. You can remove PulseAudio and configure XMMS2 to use ALSA.

MooPi
December 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
No.

XMMS2 supports playback through ALSA, OSS, JACK, PulseAudio and libao. You can remove PulseAudio and configure XMMS2 to use ALSA.

Thank you VertexPusher, After looking into a howto on xmm2 I found the command to change output.
xmms2 config output.plugin alsa
Everything working as it should. Many Thanks.