PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Router password: Can I crack it?

mailman1175
December 29th, 2009, 01:24 AM
All right, so I'm a dummy, and I'm hard-headed. I forgot the password I created to log into my router. Yeah, it's easy to do a hard reset of the router, but it was a pain in the rear to get my ISP settings right the first time (it took me and my sister's now-ex-boyfriend about 3 hours to get it right). I really, really, REALLY don't want to have to do that again.

I know there are a lot of password-cracking programs out there, for lots of different platforms. I'm not really interested in WEP/WPA cracking, though. I just want to turn my machine loose to try to brute-force crack my router's login password while I sleep.

I have a few questions, though:

Am I crazy? That is, is there even a FOSS program that can do what I want it to do?
The password is somewhere in the vicinity of 10 characters, including numbers, upper- and lower-case letters, and special characters, but is basically a l33t-speak twist on an actual word. [I'd intended to make it easier to remember, but difficult to guess…] Is it realistic to think that up-to-date hardware (say, a new MacBook) could crack that password overnight?
Assuming there's a program that does what I want, and assuming it's not going to be ridiculously time-consuming to do it, how do I go about [i]implementing the crack?
Or do I just need to bite the bullet, reset the router, and move on?

So, hit me with it. And thanks.

whoop
December 29th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I'm not exactly sure if this is the proper forum to post questions like this, but:

To help you I would at least needs the exact make and model of your router...

The only solution that could work for any make and model would be brute force...

mailman1175
December 29th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I'm not exactly sure if this is the proper forum to post questions like this, but:

To help you I would at least needs the exact make and model of your router...

The only solution that could work for any make and model would be brute force...
If I'm in the wrong forum, I apologize. Moderators are free to move the topic, obviously, if necessary.

Does the method/program varies according to router specification? I knew it would have to be brute force. I'm just a little wary of exposing more information than I absolutely have to…

__p1n__
December 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I'm not really interested in WEP/WPA cracking, though. I just want to turn my machine loose to try to brute-force crack my router's login password while I sleep.

You don't even know if it uses WEP or WPA? Are you sure that it's your router? All that will do in any event is allow your wifi client to connect to the AP; you'll still need the admin password to configure it. This latter will need to be cracked if you can't exploit a vuln on the router.

You really should just reset it; setting up the DHCP and gateway information from your ISP is trivial.

mailman1175
December 29th, 2009, 02:11 AM
You don't even know if it uses WEP or WPA? Are you sure that it's your router? All that will do in any event is allow your wifi client to connect to the AP; you'll still need the admin password to configure it. This latter will need to be cracked if you can't exploit a vuln on the router.

You really should just reset it; setting up the DHCP and gateway information from your ISP is trivial.
It's my network, and it's unsecured. I don't use either WEP or WPA for login. My house is a quarter mile from my neighbors, and 25 miles from any place of any significance. Anyone trying to scam my wifi's going to have my attention when they pull into the driveway.

I suppose it's inevitable that responders to these kinds of threads are going to assume I'm a script kiddie trying to get into my neighbor's network so I can surf pr0n…

It's the admin password I've forgotten. And, as I said in the OP, setting up the router/ISP is not trivial (for me). I've only done it once, and it took me and one other guy half a day of trial-and-error to get it right. My ISP won't give any kind of support to customers setting up wireless routers, so they're no help.

whoop
December 29th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Does the method/program varies according to router specification? I knew it would have to be brute force.

Some router's are exploitable (the firmware actually), so methods may vary.
Some router's even have a functionality to just reset the password...

mailman1175
December 29th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Some router's are exploitable (the firmware actually), so methods may vary.
Some router's even have a functionality to just reset the password...
I've done some more research, and it looks like it could take a very long time for any machine to brute force crack my router. I talked to my ISP, and they've at least made it sound easy to get reconnected, so I'm just going to reset the router.

echoreply
December 29th, 2009, 02:47 AM
some tools in backtrack or OSWA assistant (for wireless) might come in handy.

DGortze380
December 29th, 2009, 06:53 AM
The password is somewhere in the vicinity of 10 characters, including numbers, upper- and lower-case letters, and special characters, but is basically a l33t-speak twist on an actual word. [I'd intended to make it easier to remember, but difficult to guess…] Is it realistic to think that up-to-date hardware (say, a new MacBook) could crack that password overnight?

No, it's not. You've describe a 'strong' password. It will likely take an exceptionally long time to brute-force.

A modified dictionary attack would be quicker, still too long to make it practical IMO.

Just do a hard reset. Network settings from your ISP shouldn't be that difficult to restore.

insane_alien
December 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
mm, hard reset, reconfigure it(it shouldn't take three hours as some things will come back to you) and once you have it running again, backup the configuration. that way next time you will be able to just tell the router to look a tthat file and everything will be dandy again.

Project PWNED
December 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Reset the router. "3 hours of reconfiguring" beats 3 days of searching online for the solution.

HH60Gunner
February 2nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
if setting up isp settings is more than trivial for you then cracking a password is going to be way beyond your capabilities. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just being honest.

bodhi.zazen
February 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
if setting up isp settings is more than trivial for you then cracking a password is going to be way beyond your capabilities. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just being honest.

And with that I am closing this thread.

It is over a month old and we really do not support cracking passwords here.