PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] S/PDIF with a CM8738

aehirst
December 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have 2 sound cards, an internal card which I use for my stereo out. I also have a digital sound card ( CM8738 ) with an optical out.

However when I try to use the digital out I get silence. I have set all volume levels and set the profile to digital but nothing seems
to work. I'm using 9.10.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Alpha1Dash1
January 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Just been through this process myself [my old Audigy2 died & I replaced it with a Trust SC-5250, which is seen as a CM8738].

All my problems were solved using the alsamixer utility. The steps I went though were:

1) make sure alsamixer is installed using synaptic.
2) open terminal and run alsamixer. Scroll right (cursor keys) to the column called "IEC958 O" [ = IEC958 Output].
3) If the column shows a small box with "MM" in it, digital output is disabled. Use "m" to toggle it on and it should now show a high-lighted green "00".
4) If you want analogue output as well (as I do for my mic/headset), then scroll left to the "IEC958 In Monitor" and toggle it on.
5) exit alsamixer using <Esc>. [not actually sure if this is needed to save the settings, but its what I did!].

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me!

longfins
March 8th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Thanks George, that fixed my problem, on Ubuntu 9.10

nickdngr
June 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
George, thank you so much! I spent hours trying to figure out why this wasn't working and it never dawned on me that there were alsa options unchecked! Thanks again.

uOpt
June 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Are you able to use the S/PDIF input on that card?

I have difficulties with mine. Sometimes it works right after a reboot for a while, but pretty quickly it gets me into read errors and stays that way. Most of the time it doesn't work after reboot in the first place.

Alpha1Dash1
June 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
longfins & nickdngr: Glad to hear the fix worked for you two - there is probably some super-smooth way of doing it without using alsamixer, but I have no idea what it is!

uOpt: sorry, I don't know - I have no s/pdif ouput devices to connect.

ferdije5
May 21st, 2012, 01:28 PM
fantastic thanks can't believe solved 2 problems in less then one hour spotify and this one I tried windows 8 to but ubuntu is much better with multiple desktops get crazy in eight haha
registered at once for the next issue which might occur