PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with volume knob

Ram-
December 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I am using Karmic Koala (9.10) on a Toshiba Satellite U-305. My volume knob is not working properly. If I try to lower the volume (by rolling the knob a little bit) it will keep lowering the volume forever and cannot be interrupted (the computer will freeze and will keep muting the volume). Same happens when I try to turn the volume up. So I just use my laptop making sure that I do not touch the volume knob :)

The volume control works very well if I control it from the panel inside linux (not from the hardware).

Thanks for all help.

Ram-

vanzippee
December 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I would also like help with this.

I have a U300 toshiba satellite with the same issue.

I found some that said there was a evdev fix for intrepid, but then it was said that it wasn't really a fix at all because the problem is in the kernel.

So I would like someone, could tell what is happening, and if there is any chance of a fix. This seems like an old problem.

From what I gather the normal function of a button turns on, then sends an off signal. The wheel does not send an off signal so it just keeps going.
Some have had success with a ctrl-alt-F1/ctrl-alt-F7 to bring things back, but the wheel still does not work.

Here is the bug report, everything is in there:

Bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/271706)

As you can see it has been going on for over a year so I hope we are close to a solution.

derekmbarnes
December 31st, 2009, 09:35 PM
From what I gather the normal function of a button turns on, then sends an off signal. The wheel does not send an off signal so it just keeps going.

Same problem with my Toshiba Satellite M500; except instead of a wheel, I have a bar of touch-sensitive "media control" buttons. When I tap said buttons, they act as if continuously "on." I wondered if I might have deleted some software that switched these buttons off; the original Toshiba programs were deleted when I wiped the hard drive installing Ubuntu (silly me).

Will be keeping tabs on this thread for future developments.

wafflemelon
January 2nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Same problem with my Toshiba Satellite M500; except instead of a wheel, I have a bar of touch-sensitive "media control" buttons. When I tap said buttons, they act as if continuously "on." I wondered if I might have deleted some software that switched these buttons off; the original Toshiba programs were deleted when I wiped the hard drive installing Ubuntu (silly me).

Will be keeping tabs on this thread for future developments.

Oh, I've had this also, but I thought it was just some random glitch.

61north
April 30th, 2010, 10:59 PM
This problem is still present in 10.4. 8.04 works fine, but in 8.10 this problem appeared. It's remained a bug through 9.04, 9.10, and 10.4.

I filed a bug on this last year thinking it had something to do with notify-osd which was consuming 100% CPU when this happened. Now, in 10.4, notify-osd is much better behaved and doesn't lock up the computer.

However, the volume runs away to max or min every time I try to adjust it. I think I'll file a new bug on this.

Any suggestions which package might be the problem?

61north
May 1st, 2010, 02:22 AM
Well, I found that this bug has already been discussed at length at Bug #271706. So no need to submit another. Doesn't look like any permanent fix is available yet, but there are some temporary fixes if you can add a few lines to the keyboard driver source and recompile it.

The temporary solution is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=974723