PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tx2500z sound issues

callummacdonald
December 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM
hey there this is my first post on the Ubuntu forums that i can remember i used to use mint but i gave up because i had issues with my sound driver. yesterday i thought id install Ubuntu and see if it was any better ( i realize they are very similar os'). however i have spent the last 5 hours installing or trying to install drivers:(. i finished with most of my drivers about two hours ago and now i only have to work out why there is no sound at all coming from anywhere its worse than when i used mint because when i open the sound option there is not even a device listed. i was looking forward to being able to leave Microsoft behind in favor of Linux but at the moment it looks like ill be forced to go back :'(.
neway ne help would be appreciated i realize there a lo of people with sound issues but ive tried all the supposed solutions i could to make it work but nothings changed

thank for looking Callum

Favux
December 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hi Callum,

For a HP TX2500 do the following.

To the bottom of the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base you add the following line:

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=toshiba position_fix=1

To edit the file you would use:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Since you have to be root when you edit it gksudo will do that. It will ask for your password. Gedit is gnome-edit.

callummacdonald
December 30th, 2009, 04:16 AM
hey thanks for i tried it but i don't think t changed anything.

btw is it normal that the file i added the line to was empty??:S

thanks

callummacdonald
December 30th, 2009, 04:17 AM
hey thanks for i tried it but i don't think t changed anything.

btw is it normal that the file i added the line to was empty??:S

thanks

Favux
December 30th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Hi Callum,

My apologies, I forgot the name change that started with Jaunty. Please see the post again.

callummacdonald
December 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
hey sorry i still don't hear anything any there is still no hardware listed in system>preferences>sound hardware.
on the bright side gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf worked as in the file opened wasn't empty :D
if theres anything else you know that might work it would be really helpful but if not thanks anyway.

i'm going to try restarting now i'll let you know if it worked

hey sorry it didn't do anything

Favux
December 30th, 2009, 09:28 AM
You're in Karmic correct? Check in Hardware Drivers and see if you have the softmodem driver installed. If so unactivate it and restart.

callummacdonald
December 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM
hey sorry whats karmic ?
i'm using the latest Ubuntu
is the softmodem he same as the software modem?

thanks

callummacdonald
December 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM
:D:D:D:D thank you sooooooooo much finally working

Favux
December 30th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi Callum,

Great, you got it! :) You're welcome.

You have to have tunes after all.