PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ipod and karmic.....

matchett808
December 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I used to use songbird on 32-bit jaunty to sync my ipod on my old laptop...I upgraded it to karmic 32 bit and it stopped working....(it also stopped on most other software other than gtkpod and rythmbox - but rythmbox doesnt have sync...)

I got a new laptop for my xmas and put 64-bit karmic on it on christmas morning (sad but I refuse to use vista! lol) so far loving it but...ipod is still not working...

..I can remember reading something about it being down to the depreciation of podslueth vs hal or something like that....Is there anyway to "reverse the deprectiation" ie. like installing the old hal or podslueth???

PS.....This is my first post but I have been using ubuntu for years and the forums have always been part of my problem solving process! keep up the good work ubuntu team and thank-you forums! lol

nexoncore
December 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I had this same problem, and it relates more to usb mounting than to the actual ipod.

The problem seems to be that after initial boot, the OS is unable to mount usb storage ( ipod, pen drives, external usb HD's ect )

Although theres no real fix to this, the way to work around the issue is to simply shut down the computer, plugin the ipod then boot it up again.

Give it a try, sorry I cant give you a simple command line to fix the issue.

matchett808
December 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
there is a command line fix for it to do with killing nautilus...but thats just a tempeorary workaround...

I had already tried starting my laptop up with said ipod already plugged in and no joy....

matchett808
December 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
just thought i would add a little more info in the fact that i am trying to use an ipod nano (2nd or 3rd generation)..