PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Logitech Webcam C500

Bloodangel002
December 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Hello Ubuntu world,

I have just recently started using a webcam.

The webcam I have is the Logitech Webcam C500, which I understand is functional with Ubuntu 8.04, 64 bit(which is what I have).

After testing the webcam in windows, in order for the webcam to work, I needed to change the resolution. I figure this is the same with the webcam in Ubuntu, that I will need to change the resoultion.

Is there a way to do this in the terminal?

Please respond

gordintoronto
December 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
You might not need to do that. I suggest you install a program called Cheese, and see if the webcam "just works." In Cheese, Edit/Preferences lets you adjust the resolution.

Bloodangel002
December 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Thank you for info on cheese. I was successful in installing cheese.

Unfortunately, after installing cheese, the program showed a screen that had the colors of the rainbow, as well as in the bottom right corner was a small window showing snow. Is there another way to test the webcam, or is there something in cheese I must do to get the webcam working?

Please reply.

gordintoronto
December 27th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I'm sorry, I have no expertise beyond what I told you earlier. Did you try changing the resolution in Cheese?

My experience is with several Chinese webcams which cost $10 or less. All have worked flawlessly with Ubuntu 9.04 or 9.10, although the image quality might not be wonderful.

Bloodangel002
December 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM
The cheese that I downloaded is 2.22.3. Unfortunately, there is not a option to change the preferences for Cheese.

Is there a way to download a version of Cheese older then 2.22.3, or is there another option out there that could help?

gordintoronto
December 31st, 2009, 01:50 AM
You don't want an older Cheese, you want a newer one. In Jaunty, the version is 2.26, and it has Edit/Preferences. Sorry, there's no way I would run Ubuntu 8.04, although many people believe that stability is everything.