PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I restore the bundled Ubuntu display driver?

jmlynn
December 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi,

I had successfully installed Ubunto 9.10 on my Toshiba notebook, with the capability of display main desktop on the internal LCD and extended desktop on a second LCD monitor.

However, after I run System/Administration/Hardware Drivers and tried to install the "recommended" Nvidia accelerated graphics drivers (version 185), it failed during install, giving me the following error:
"System error: installArchives() failed"

When I reboot the machine and click System/preferences/display, I now get the following error:
"It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?

If I select yes, I got the NVIDIA configure screen that I have no clues as to how to configure it.

If I cleck No, I will get a low resolution display driver. I am also unable to extend the desktop to the external screen.

Any idea on how to restore to the Ubuntu distribution display driver without having to rinstall Unbunto?

Appreciate any help!

Jeff