PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VLC won't capture sound.

LordHawke
December 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I just got a Logitech C250 Webcam for Christmas. I think I've just about got everything perfect. I've had fun messin' with VLC Player and streamin' and capturin' video and junk, but there's one problem: I've noticed that no matter what I do, VLC Player won't capture sound when playing or saving a stream.

The webcam has a built-in Mic. It works on everything else. I've used it with Sound Recorder and shot a test quick-vid on YouTube and the Mic has worked perfectly. I've been to Sound Preferences; the cam's Mic is enabled and turned up and responsive. However, in VLC, when playing or saving a "Capture Device Stream", there is never any sound.

This got me curious, so I tried streaming and saving my Desktop as a capture device and when there was sound, VLC failed to capture it in the stream. I'd really love to get VLC working. Please help me.

Leo Damascus
December 30th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I have the same problem using the built-in webcam in my Dell Inspiron i1535. It won't capture any sound if I'm using alsa, and the sound will be choppy if I'm using pulse. If I try to edit the sound settings in any way, v4l2 breaks (it doesn't seem to care how I edit it, or even if I change it back after-words). It's an annoying bug, and it seems only to affect VLC (Cheese, Audacity and gtk-recordmydesktop are all I've tested, but they all capture audio fine).
Anybody know what's going on here, and how we can get VLC to capture alsa and pulse audio?

Leo Damascus
January 12th, 2010, 05:54 PM
New Development: VLC apparently will capture audio for me so long as I capture the audio separate of the webcam footage. In other words, I get audio playback if I run the command "vlc alsa://plughw:0,0" but not if I run "vlc v4l2:// :input-slave=alsa://plughw:0,0".

Curiouser and curiouser.