PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing logitech webcam

Jlsheets
December 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Hello all,

I'm very new to Ubuntu and to using the terminal to make things work. I've been trying to install a logitech webcam c250 for the past couple days and have had no success. I've searched the forums and I know this question has been asked before for other webcams but I can't find anything that works.

When I run the commands in the terminal that are used to get the required packages to install this webcam (apt-get install module-assistant camorama xawtv gspca-source spca5xx-source qc-usb-source) I consistently get the error gspca-source not found (not sure if that's the exact error). So if anybody can shed some light on this thanks.

jared

david_2001
December 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM
The Logitech c250 is a UVC webcam and it works out of the box with 9.10 (I've got one, so I know). To check whether it has been detected, you could try either:

david@first-desktop [~]
$ dmesg | grep uvc
[ 9.520027] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device <unnamed> (046d:0804)
[ 9.549209] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
or

david@first-desktop [~]
$ lsmod | grep uvcvideo
uvcvideo 69100 0
videodev 42752 4 uvcvideo,tuner,saa7134,v4l2_common
v4l1_compat 18276 2 uvcvideo,videodev
usbcore 183764 11 snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,uvcvideo,usbhid,dvb_usb_ dib0700,dvb_usb,usb_storage,lirc_mceusb,uhci_hcd,e hci_hcd
If you get a positive result, install cheese, run it and see what it finds...

Jlsheets
December 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
It has been detected and when I run cheese it work. The video seems to work pretty well (kind of sluggish). The only problem I am having is sound output when I talk using Skype. My voice records fine when using cheese but when I use Skype the people I talk told me they can not hear my voice. Any tips?

Thanks for the help,

Jared