PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a way to get Internet Explorer to work in Ubuntu?

diablo75
December 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
My dad is having some trouble using Firefox in Ubuntu to do online banking (I think he said he uses Citi Card or something like that). He gets a web browser compatibility error when he tries to log in. So I was wondering what the best is for him to get Internet Explorer working on Ubuntu. I think it can be done using WINE, right? I just need to know the "right way" to get it installed and working.

audiomick
December 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
There is in fact an Internet explorer package for Ubuntu. I read about it in a thread recently, and it exists for just such problems as your father is having. Unfortunatly I don't know exactly what it is called, I think ie6 or somthing like that. If you search in the synaptic packager manager, I think you should be able to find it. You will probably have to have multiverse and so on enabled.

bkratz
December 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
My dad is having some trouble using Firefox in Ubuntu to do online banking (I think he said he uses Citi Card or something like that). He gets a web browser compatibility error when he tries to log in. So I was wondering what the best is for him to get Internet Explorer working on Ubuntu. I think it can be done using WINE, right? I just need to know the "right way" to get it installed and working.

In a posting below yours see this, looks interesting

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8555655&postcount=5

audiomick
December 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hallo again.
That which I was referring to is mentioned a bit further down in the thread that bkratz mentioned.

It is called IEs 4 Linux. Maybe it isn't in the repos after all, but here is a link:
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Bartender
December 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It's ridiculous to have to go thru this sort of hijinks. One thing your dad oughta do is call the financial institution and tell them he's leaving if they don't stop forcing their customers to use a Microsoft browser.

audiomick
December 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Actually, bartender is right...

Rhubarb
December 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
ie4linux works quite nicecly.

I would also recommend you contact the bank and let them know that windows isn't the only OS people run, and than non-microsoft operating systems don't have IE.

Another trick that may work is to change the way firefox reports itself as being to websites. Sometimes this does the trick (it's somewhere in about:config).

coffeecat
December 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
It's ridiculous to have to go thru this sort of hijinks. One thing your dad oughta do is call the financial institution and tell them he's leaving if they don't stop forcing their customers to use a Microsoft browser.

Actually, bartender is right...

Bartender is almost right. :wink: What I would do is to change banks and then tell them why I've left.

I do online banking with two well-known UK-based high street banks. I use Firefox in Ubuntu to do my online transactions. I have no problems. I don't have to use an agent-switcher. I don't have to use Wine. In fact I choose to use Firefox in Ubuntu for my online banking precisely because they are both more secure.

laidback
December 25th, 2009, 02:50 PM
A most interesting thread. Currently I don't use the PC for my banking but the way things are going I'm being forced to so found this an interesting topic. I'd be interested to know which banks coffeecat uses!

coffeecat
December 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I'd be interested to know which banks coffeecat uses!

Barclays and Alliance & Leicester. Of the two, Barclays seems to have the tighter security. You need to be sober to log in. :wink: It's quite a performance!

In fact, I was wrong when I said two. I've also got a store-based credit card administered by HSBC. I can view and administer my account on the internet and the website is also run by HSBC - according to Netcraft. Again, no problems with Ubuntu and FF.

Any NatWest, Lloyds-TSB or RBS customers out there to tell us your experience? :p

Norm24
December 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I've been doing online banking with FF for as long as the banks I deal with have offered online banking.No issues in all that time.

Jerry N
December 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I access several financial institutions with Firefox in Windows and haven't had a browser incompatibility problem for several years. That bank must be using really old software! I would worry about how secure it is. I am not even sure that the Microsoft web site has trouble with Firefox anymore.

Jerry

Geoff918
December 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't use the IES4Linux. It's an early version of IE and it never worked for me.

However, you can install Wine. And, then get Winetricks downloaded.

Run the script. Select either IE6 or IE7 for download. (My dad hates firefox, so he allowed me to install Linux on the condition that he could use IE).

That will take just a few moments. And then you're up and running.

It's not bug-free. But, I haven't had any real problems. Just don't try running Flash scripts and the like on it--it probably won't respond.

frncz
December 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
To add to coffeecat's response, I use Ubuntu and FF for banking with first Direct, using a home wifi with WEP protection and cable connection (Virgin). No problems whatsoever, and now for several years (fingers crossed). I live with the belief that I am less likely to have my identity stolen than if I was using windows and IE. Please do not shatter my
confidence!

coffeecat
December 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Please do not shatter my confidence!

You might want to consider changing your WEP encryption to WPA! :wink:

sliketymo
December 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Your father might want to try the "User-Agent Switcher" add on that is available from addons.mozilla.org. I am not sure if it will work,but worth a try.Dosn't cost a cent !

laidback
December 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Dear coffeecat,
A&L I'm trying to leave, but the other reference may be of use, thanks. RBS have been very helpful recently even though I don't bank with them, but then I supppose we all do in a way!
Halifax has an interesting new deposit system at the ATM, you get a scanned image of the cheque! impressive and very quick.

prenoob
December 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM
.... Barclays seems to have the tighter security. You need to be sober to log in. :wink: It's quite a performance!

You can say that again!!!!!