View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 OUT OF RANGE message

December 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hi there, I am a newby to Ubuntu and am close to having a breakdown with frustration......

I currently use Windows XP and want rid. I boot from Ubuntu disk to do an initial install and grub menu appears in which I select 'INSTALL UBUNTU'. I do this, screen goes blank, Ubuntu logo in middle of screen flashes for 10 seconds, then screen goes black and message reads 'OUT OF RANGE'.

I assume this is a resolution issue so I tried changing the res by typing on the end of the grub command line -- vga=xxx' (xxx=3 digit resolution code - eg. 785). I have tried every resolution but still getting the same message.

Is there anyone out there that can assist me with this pleeeeaaaasee????

December 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM
How about some info about your computer, CPU, RAM, graphics, etc.
Try pressig f4 at the menu and selecting safe graphics mode.

December 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Fixing monitor resolutions is broken in Ubuntu, and gets broken a different way with every new release.

A noob has to go and partially rewrite the OS to repair this intentional sabotage.
It's ruining my xmas and I've had resolution problems numerous times before. I suggest you forget it over the festive period because it takes days to sort out and you'll have a nervous breakdown. Sorry

December 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Taking your view into account MarkX, I couldn't be bothered messing about as I had tried everything to get it to work in previous forums. I just went and bought new mother board and graphics card and it now works an absolute treat.

So that's the solution if this ever crops up again!