PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] No wubi after install on XP

eljopc
December 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I installed 2x Wubi on my Win XP Home and there is no place to choose for wubi. Not on startup no icon on windows desktop.

lloyd_b
December 24th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I had that problem recently - turns out that it had set a default timeout of 0, so it was immediately booting XP.

Open up a command prompt "Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt", change to the root directory ("cd C:\"), make the "boot.ini" file editable ("attrib -R -H -S boot.ini"), then "edit boot.ini" (or at this point you can edit it using any program).

Check the "timeout" line to make sure that it's a reasonable number of seconds (not zero), and change it if necessary.

Lloyd B.

eljopc
December 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I had that problem recently - turns out that it had set a default timeout of 0, so it was immediately booting XP.

Open up a command prompt "Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt", change to the root directory ("cd C:\"), make the "boot.ini" file editable ("attrib -R -H -S boot.ini"), then "edit boot.ini" (or at this point you can edit it using any program).

Check the "timeout" line to make sure that it's a reasonable number of seconds (not zero), and change it if necessary.

Lloyd B.

Thanks, will try this.

Is this reported to the BUG list of Wubi?

lloyd_b
December 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks, will try this.

Is this reported to the BUG list of Wubi?

Yes, it has been reported and acknowledged on Launchpad (Bug #382614 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/382614)). Note that this bug has been around a while - they just haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Lloyd B.