PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mint christian edition

Mickeyj4j
December 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM
:lolflag: as linux mint is a free, easy to use out of the box Linux distro. (Visit http://www.linuxmint.com for more information)

and ubuntu is the distro Linux Mint was based off of, lacking the full-featured ness and out-of-box compatibility.

i would live to see a linux mint christian edition.

as the ubuntu updater for ubuntu ce never works for everyone this would be a great idea. if anyone is interested in creating this go ahead.

Mint takes way less configuring than ubuntu and is a much easier os to use imho. :guitar:

I wonder if there is any interest

EDIT:

I know that if anyone did this they would have to remove the mint branding for legal reasons but this can be easily done. there is a post on the mint site on how to do this.

check out these post also

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=38490&hilit=mint+christian+edition&start=30
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=40337&p=231822#p231822

lewisforlife
December 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Sounds interesting, but when you say Christian Edition, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean it would come pre-bundled with bible applications and other Christian study stuff, and maybe Christian oriented wallpapers etc... or do you have a different idea?

greylensman
December 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
The Ichythus Desktop is KDE based, so I would suggest waiting for the Mint 8 KDE Edition, then installing the ichythus-desktop from the Package Manager (Synaptic).
When you "Mark for Installation", ALL of the software/programs will be automatically pulled in as dependencies.

(Haven't tried it myself yet, but I have checked it out in Synaptic.)

Mickeyj4j, God bless, and Merry Christmas !

richyrich

david_kt
December 25th, 2009, 02:15 AM
:lolflag: as linux mint is a free, easy to use out of the box Linux distro. (Visit http://www.linuxmint.com for more information)

i wonder if there is any interest

It is very easy. Install linuxmint and converted to ce, using the instruction on ce website to convert ubuntu to ce.

The problem with mint is it is illegal for some countries to download it.

DK

MoreRam
December 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM
But are the developers of Mint anti-Semitic? Does that bother you? And then, if they are that pro-Palestinian, might they also be anti-Christian? I haven't given Mint a try as I found reports on the developers being against Israel disturbing.

david_kt
December 25th, 2009, 03:46 PM
But are the developers of Mint anti-Semitic? Does that bother you? And then, if they are that pro-Palestinian, might they also be anti-Christian? I haven't given Mint a try as I found reports on the developers being against Israel disturbing.

I am not sure exactly the political stand of mint developer, but I guess he is just writing for the sake of humanity. My suggestion is not to be disturb by what he think, but just try his work. If his works is good, just use it.

DK

JN4OldSchool
December 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Mickeyj4j,

I replied in your Mint forum thread as FedoraRefugee. I would like to add here that I do not believe the Mint developer is anti-Semitic or anti-anything for that matter. He made a foolish statement due to his view of the situation.

As far as a Christian version of Mint, I do not think it a good idea for exactly this very same reason. It is a small distro which is controlled by one person. It should not make ANY political or religious statement.

But that does not mean that you cannot use it and simply install the apps you need to tailor it to suit you. I suggested in the Mint forum that maybe we can break down all the components of Ubuntu CE and find the separate apps and install them. As I mention there, e-Sword is the big one for me, and thanks to david_kt (a poster in this thread) it is a simple matter to install now. Just get the latest version of Wine and download his installer.

http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3886077

Beside david's good suggestion of installing the CE packages in Mint

http://ubuntuce.com/convert.htm

you could also install Ubuntu CE and "mintify" it. It is too bad that we will probably not get a finished Mint CE package, even if someone built it I doubt Clem would be interested in making it an "official" version. But I can also understand why. It is not hard to just install the apps you want.

Mickeyj4j
January 12th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Sounds interesting, but when you say Christian Edition, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean it would come pre-bundled with bible applications and other Christian study stuff, and maybe Christian oriented wallpapers etc... or do you have a different idea?

have you not heard of ubuntu CE(Christian Edition) http://ubuntuce.com/

Mickeyj4j
January 12th, 2010, 01:38 AM
The Ichythus Desktop is KDE based, so I would suggest waiting for the Mint 8 KDE Edition, then installing the ichythus-desktop from the Package Manager (Synaptic).
When you "Mark for Installation", ALL of the software/programs will be automatically pulled in as dependencies.

(Haven't tried it myself yet, but I have checked it out in Synaptic.)

Mickeyj4j, God bless, and Merry Christmas !

richyrich

again as i mentioned above about "the Ubuntu CE installer does not work for everyone" its terh same with ichthus as well.

Mickeyj4j
January 12th, 2010, 01:39 AM
It is very easy. Install linuxmint and converted to ce, using the instruction on ce website to convert ubuntu to ce.

DK

Again i must stress that does not work for everyone and can cause problems.

lewisforlife
January 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
have you not heard of ubuntu CE(Christian Edition) http://ubuntuce.com/

No, I have not heard of it, I have now. This is what I love about Linux!

Nick_Jinn
May 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM

People like to play the antisemitic card as a diversion from legitimate criticism of a state gone rouge.

Oh, you dont think Israel should massacre the Palestinians who can barely defend themselves? You must hate Jews!!!

Oh, you dont support the invasion of Iraq? You must hate America!!!

Its really sad. Nowhere did he say that we should blame "Jews" for the conflict.....Does he secretely hold racist views? I have no idea, but there is no evidence of that just because he felt so strongly about the massacre of Gaza or when Israel destroyed that power plant destroying the ocean evnrionemnt all the way to Greece.....as an eco-warrior that one really pissed me off and spent a lot of the sympathy I may have had.

But my girlfriend is from a Jewish family and she feels the same way....its not right what that GOVERNMENT was doing.

Neither of us have conventional religious beliefs, and I dont think I am personally interested in a "christian Ubuntu", but I would like to say that just because you dont support a countries foreign policy does not make you a racist.

He isnt antisemitic for not wanting war supporters on his team.

The ruling party in Israel does not have a monopoly on what it means to be Jewish.

And lets not forget that a huge chunk of the Palestinians are Christian. There are more Christian Palestinians than there are Christian zionists.....but here is a fun fact....Noam Chomsky is a Zionist....but he only wants zionism to occur to create a secular government based on equal rights...and I think hes awesome.

Mickeyj4j
May 19th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I am now working on a puppy linux christian edition http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=419723#419723

jonathonblake
May 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM
I am now working on a puppy linux christian [/url]
Is that the fourth or fifth "Christian Edition" of Puppy Linux to be developed?

jonathon

Eutaw
May 22nd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Is that the fourth or fifth "Christian Edition" of Puppy Linux to be developed?

jonathon
Hmmm. Living Water by ttuuxxx, Shepherdpup, Churchpup, Churchpup Concordia, and Lighthouse includes Bibletime. Looks like a pretty big niche.

RevJack
June 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
A Christian Edition of Mint would be interesting to see.

stlsaint
June 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
I am now working on a puppy linux christian edition http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=419723#419723

As long as you stay motivated and dedicated to the project you should have no adversity. i reviewed that forum link you sent and the last item before your entry was way back in 2008. Seems the project was dropped and you are picking it up again so i pray all goes well for you! Side note would be to remember that this forum is UBUNTU CE. Support questions here are welcome but please dont do much heavy advertising on puppy here. Use the puppy forum! :popcorn:

Mickeyj4j
August 31st, 2010, 09:01 AM

DK

as i mentioned teh ubuntu cd updzate dowes not work for everybody thats y a native version is good. also linux mint is perfectly legal. its gteh stupid ubuntu users that say its not legal. so you are forced to use ubuntu. its a trick i believe ubuntu use to make money adn you think you cant use anything else

Mickeyj4j
August 31st, 2010, 09:03 AM

this is just a dumb idea. the mint os is quite good userfrendly adn it does not bother me if that gosip is true or not. i dont listen to gossip myself. i usemint a its more userfriendly.

Dayofswords
August 31st, 2010, 09:20 AM
for the not legal everyone problem, use the "USA/Japan distribution disks" version

how does the personal feelings of developers affect the software... i bet there is at least one ubuntu developer who may feel the same. same with fedora and debian, and even MacOS and Windows. if you were a devloper and being religious your probably anti-something(it's inherent in religion) and i suspect you wouldn't want people to turn away from your software based on your values

not like your supporting or promoting it that feeling by using it

now i'm not religious the least bit, but linux mint as said is based off of ubuntu, would a Christian edition of that just be ubuntu CE with greener interface and a few different software?

Nick_Jinn
August 31st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Being against Israels assault of Palestinians does not mean they are anti-Semitic....necessarily.

While somebody who was antisemitic might be against Israel arbitrarily regardless of whether they were assaulting other Semitic peoples, there is a much larger number of people who have nothing against Jewish people but still oppose war and human rights violations, so criticise the Israeli GOVERNMENT.

For example, I love Chinese culture, I study asian martial arts, enjoy Chinese food, read Taoist philosophy, and study Chinese medicine....I HATE the Chinese government. I am not 'anti-chinese'.

Calling the Mint developers anti-Semitic is just wrong. They have never said anything inherently racist. Ever. They only criticised an assault on the Palestinians which was condemned by the UN and human rights organisations around the world.

The Devs over at Mint are some pretty awesome people and do not deserve these false allegations. Charges of racism should not be used to silence legitimate criticism of a governments actions.

tumelo
March 9th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I guess you could say I have Linux Mint Christian Edition...sort of. I did the command to install ubuntuCE on my mint distro and it worked. So I use mint and I have all the Christian software: bible study software, the daily bible verse, the daily bible trivia, dansguardian web filter etc etc.

Jordy_224
March 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM
There seems to be a bug with transparent proxy status in dansguardian.

UbuntuCE utilize tinyproxy or squid?

Are you able to use multiple browsers with dansguardian filter?

tumelo
March 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Are you able to use multiple browsers with dansguardian filter?

I'm able to use multiple browsers with dansguardian. actually my dansguardian stopped working and I had to change my network settings on chrome so I'll probably have to do the same thing to my firefox settings, but before that dansguardian filtered them both.

drunkongod
May 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Since everyone seems to be having a hard time with the updater on Ubuntu CE and it doesn't seem to moving forward, I am working on a version of my own called Ubuntu Cross. This project will have a two-fold purpose. One, obviously to be Christian. Two, to be easier to use for Windows users "Crossing" over to Ubuntu. This will mean that it will be kind of a "Christian Linux Mint" all though it will not be based on Mint. If anyone wants to help me make some "Ubuntu Cross" wallpapers, that would be great. I have a little digital photo editing experience, but if someone with more experience wants to take that on as a project, I would really appreciate it.

jonathonblake
May 17th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I am working on a version of my own called Ubuntu Cross.

Other than themes, what will your version include/exclude?

Asking, because I see a "need" for a distro oriented towards Christian non-profits. A Christian orientated enterprise distro. Something that ships with:
* Enterprise Resource Planing: OpenERP, ADempiere;
* Accounting: WebERP, SMBLedger;
* Customer Relationship Management: vTiger_CRM;
* Content Management System: Drupal, MediaWiki;
* Telephone Communications: Asterisk, ┐SIP audio & video?;
* Video Conferencing: ? Something that is on a par with Skype, but is not Skype;
* eMail archiving: Enkive;
* Backup System: ? Something that can do backups to Tape, DVD, BluRay, CD, or another hard drive;
* Front Office: LibreOffice, The GIMP, Scribus, Audacity;

All these are to ship with modules/components specifically setup for churches, parachurches, ministries, and related non-profit organizations.

It does not have to be these specific programs. I'm throwing them out, as possibilities. (Disclaimer: These are the programs that made the short list, when I was looking at what software e-Sword Users Foundation should use, to handle the various management and other functions.)

###

This probably should start its own thread.

jonathon

drunkongod
May 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I started a new thread for Ubuntu Cross at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10833018#post10833018. God bless you guys! :)

3 frags left
May 18th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hey, what about a Ubuntu Atheist Edition?

*runs away from angry mob*

But now, I didn't even know there was a distro like this. This is why I love Linux and Ubuntu, always aimed to hit the most diverse publics.

thequickbrownfox
June 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Being against Israels assault of Palestinians does not mean they are anti-Semitic....necessarily.

While somebody who was antisemitic might be against Israel arbitrarily regardless of whether they were assaulting other Semitic peoples, there is a much larger number of people who have nothing against Jewish people but still oppose war and human rights violations, so criticise the Israeli GOVERNMENT.

Fair enough, but Clement did not give his readers the benefit of the doubt. For example, he did not condemn Palestinians who fire rockets at Jewish targets, or the culture of suicide bombers. His public recommendation that anyone who supports the Israeli government should not contribute to or use LinuxMint. If he were pretending to be balanced, he might have said something against people who strap bombs to their 10-year-old mentally-handicapped children and send them into Israeli territory. He was silent about that.

Mickeyj4j
August 18th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Since everyone seems to be having a hard time with the updater on Ubuntu CE and it doesn't seem to moving forward, I am working on a version of my own called Ubuntu Cross. This project will have a two-fold purpose. One, obviously to be Christian. Two, to be easier to use for Windows users "Crossing" over to Ubuntu. This will mean that it will be kind of a "Christian Linux Mint" all though it will not be based on Mint. If anyone wants to help me make some "Ubuntu Cross" wallpapers, that would be great. I have a little digital photo editing experience, but if someone with more experience wants to take that on as a project, I would really appreciate it.

well this is true. i see your initial thread about ubuntu chross is closed. what is the latest on this os. if you are interested in a chtistian linux edition there are many to consider. ubuntu is a nice platform. but have you seen linux mint. its built on ubuntu and it is far more userfiendly for windows converts. and takes less to set up and all. and you can easily apply any of your current ubuntu things to mint it is fully compatable with ubuntu. well not the new unity desktop mint is staying with gnome.