PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Software Center: How can I Add Programs to choose from?

simpleblue
December 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
I find the Ubuntu Software Center is easy makes it easy for me to download programs. I'd just like to have a little more variety of programs. Yeah, here I am always wanting more, lol. :P

Is there any way that I can download more options to the Ubuntu Software Center?

Thanks

JDShu
December 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
You can add software sources under edit->software sources. However, you'll want to find the sources to add.

running_rabbit07
December 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
That is an interesting question. I am wondering if adding Medibuntu repositories and such will do that.

It gets a bit trickier this way, but if you know the name of a program or its primary function, it should show up in a search in Synaptic Package Manager. I know this isn't the answer to your question and I hope someone can post a way to get your objective.

Temposs
December 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Regarding Medibuntu, if you want the Medibuntu stuff to show up in Add/Remove or Ubuntu Software Center, you need to install the package called app-install-data-medibuntu.

running_rabbit07
December 23rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
regarding medibuntu, if you want the medibuntu stuff to show up in add/remove or ubuntu software center, you need to install the package called app-install-data-medibuntu.

+1:)

simpleblue
December 24th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I did find a way to add a couple new programs:

Ubuntu Software Center -> Edit -> Software Sources -> Check All

Ubuntu Software Center -> Edit -> Software Sources -> Other Software -> Check All

Ubuntu Software Center -> Edit -> Software Sources -> Check 'Pre-released'

Ubuntu Software Center -> Edit -> Software Sources -> Check All

admiralspark
December 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Try reading this article here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources) on psychocats.net, he's done a really good job of making it a step-by-step, easy process