View Full Version : [ubuntu] No internet via Modem, but yes via router

December 23rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
I am able to get an internet connection via a wired connection to my router. However, if I plug the wire directly into my cable modem, I can't get a connection. It may be possible that my cable modem is just finicky but I am really concerned because I am about to ship this desktop to my grandmother and she will be connecting to the web via direct connection from the cable modem...:confused::confused:

December 23rd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Did you configure the ppp connection when you plugged the wire directly into your computer ?

December 23rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
No I didn't make any changes to the system, it's a fresh install. I thought PPP had to do with dial-up connections?

December 23rd, 2009, 06:08 AM
My bad, I thought you were routing a dialup to a LAN.

December 23rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
My bad, I thought you were routing a dialup to a LAN.

No worries. I am confused as to why I wouldn't get a connection though. Nothing should change between

Cable Modem ---> Router ----> PC

Cable Modem ----> PC

December 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Use the application

Gnome PPP

or try

December 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
not for dial-up....

Some Penguin
December 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
not for dial-up....

The 'E' in PPPoE stands for 'Ethernet'. That's why people keep suggesting PPP to you -- it's relevant.

December 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM

no such luck. I'm beginning to think it might be my cable modem. It's 2am now but I think I will hit up the store in the morning if I don't get anywhere tonight...

December 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
I just bought a new cable modem in hopes of getting somewhere and I think Ubuntu might be blocking me from doing a connection directly to the Modem via wired connection.

When I plugged the computer into the NEW MODEM before I registered the Mac address of the NEW MODEM with my ISP, it would register that I had an eth0 wired connection (but obviously I couldn't connect to the internet).

After I called my ISP and set up the NEW MODEM with the correct Mac address, my linux desktop tells me there is no wired connection available. If I take that same cord and plug it into my Windows machine, I get internet just fine.

If I run various LiveCDs w/ the linux desktop directly connected to the NEW MODEM it tells me there is a wired eth0 connection, but I cannot get online or ping anything.

There has to be some sort of firewall or something that is blocking me from connecting directly to the internet via the Modem that I am missing because I am online right now via a wired connection through my ROUTER!

Please help I have to get this computer in the mail TODAY!