PDA

View Full Version : KDE --> windows?

tuahaa
December 22nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
It seems KDE is becoming ever so slightly like windows. Apparently some of the features KDE 4.4 will have are already implemented in Windows 7. I don't like this >=(

underquark
December 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
More like old Mac becoming new Mac. I get lost in KDE and use Gnome at its most basic.

Exodist
December 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
It seems KDE is becoming ever so slightly like windows. Apparently some of the features KDE 4.4 will have are already implemented in Windows 7. I don't like this >=(
I think you have it backwards, Win7 has some KDE 4.x features.

KDE 4.x was out first. ;-)

Xbehave
December 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Care to justify that at all?

KDE4.4 has a lot of feature, Most of which come from linux WM such as fluxbox or compiz, it also has file tagging and a whole host of first implementation (file tagging has been around for agers but i don't think anybody else has included it a DE by default)

So what leads you to think kde4.4 is anything like windows?

AllRadioisDead
December 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Could we seriously shut up about this windows 7 vs KDE crap that pops up every few days? It's called inovation. Whenever a new feature pops up in new releases of windows/Mac/OSX that is common to another OS/DE everyone jumps to the conclusion the devs are copying eachother. So what if they are? It's called inovation, deal with it. It's not a bad thing either.

tuahaa
December 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Of course there is nothing wrong with innovation. I use KDE4 myself, and I haven't touched any other DE for months. I just felt KDE wasn't being too original with 4.4, not KDE as a whole. I was worried that the brains behind KDE were running out of ideas.

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
recurring ->

CharlesA
December 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
I get lost in KDE and use Gnome at its most basic.

I do the same. ~.~

I stick to Gnome if I use a GUI..

@OP: Who cares if they are similar? Does it actually hurt anything?

Waits for the usual "M$ is evil" stuff. :popcorn:

Pasdar
December 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
For the sake of argument I'm going to assume everything you say is true. My answer then is: only a fool refuses to learn from his competition/enemies.

One of the biggest mistakes some foss developers make is by refusing to have anything like what MS has. They're probably not that smart... a smart person would know that MS spends millions on even the small program programs in their OS and even hires psychologists and you name it to develop their programs... since we don't have such money... what you do is look at what they have developed and if everyone likes it as they always do... you make a similar function... there you go... without needing to spend all that money to think of new things, all those expensive designers and you name it... we now have a free (rich) source of new ideas and we dont pay them a dime...

RiceMonster
December 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Cool story bro

BrokenKingpin
December 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
I don't really like KDE, but I don't think it is trying to be like Windows, or Mac. When you have a Windows desktop environment there are always going to be similarities, and if another DE that has implemented a cool feature, why not rip it off?

tuahaa
December 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
That's true, but I'll decide for sure when KDE 4.4 comes out next month. Anyway, KDE has been going along pretty well. It looks nice and it plays nice. I'm actually excited!

The Toxic Mite
December 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Silly thread is silly

:|