PDA

View Full Version : REQUEST: wxGTK from Hoary

Quest-Master
February 2nd, 2005, 02:02 AM
Now, it seems the reason wxPython in Warty uses GTK1 is not because of it's compilition and packaging, but that of wxGTK's.

I am extremely eager on getting wxPython/GTK to GTK2 so I can enjoy using it, so I am hoping this is the reason.

The wxGTK from Hoary (2.5. something) doesn't break anything either from what I've collected, and doesn't face the problems jdong had when trying to compile wxPython.

Also: wxGTK is wxWidgets for Linux, not a seperate toolkit or anything of the sort.

rufius
February 10th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Now, it seems the reason wxPython in Warty uses GTK1 is not because of it's compilition and packaging, but that of wxGTK's.

I am extremely eager on getting wxPython/GTK to GTK2 so I can enjoy using it, so I am hoping this is the reason.

The wxGTK from Hoary (2.5. something) doesn't break anything either from what I've collected, and doesn't face the problems jdong had when trying to compile wxPython.

Also: wxGTK is wxWidgets for Linux, not a seperate toolkit or anything of the sort.
I'll look into the backport.

jdong
February 10th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I'd be concerned about this new WxGTK breaking binary compatibility with the version in Warty. Can you provide some solid evidence that this problem wouldn't exist?

rufius
February 10th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I'd be concerned about this new WxGTK breaking binary compatibility with the version in Warty. Can you provide some solid evidence that this problem wouldn't exist?
I did some research and currently you cannot concurrently install both wxGTK 2.4 and wxGTK 2.5 or else you'll break the system and until all such things are updated to a working condition that will be one backport that'll have to wait. I am building python 2.4 as a backport though just to note for any of you interested in playing with that :).