PDA

View Full Version : Super calculator

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Does anybody know of a calculator program, that I can enter a solve for x type equation in, and have it give me the answer? Inequalities, and alternate number systems would also be a bonus.

Simon17
December 22nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
Mathematica?

BinaryFeast
December 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM
wolframalpha.com does pretty much anything with equations. As long as you can figure out how to use it, which may not be 100% clear at times.

Eamon1
December 22nd, 2009, 01:42 AM
Sage Math. Its in the repos (called 'sagemath' I think) . May take a bit of reading to learn to use but its got a fairly decent tutorial built in and can be quite powerful.

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 01:46 AM
Looking for something downloadable and free.
Mathematica costs $3000 for the full version and $300 for the home version.
Anything simpler than sage math? It feels like I need to know a programming language to use it...

Marlonsm
December 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
I don't know a software for it, but this site can do it very well:
http://www.mathway.com/

(You can always use Chrome to make it look like a local application)

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Don't always have an internet connection, and I refuse to have anything related to google on my computer.

Xbehave
December 22nd, 2009, 02:59 AM
the search term you are looking for is "Computer Algebra System"

qcalculate (my recomendation) comes in qcalculate-gtk and qcalculate-qt

wxmaxima/mascyma (bit more complicated to use)

kayali, yacas, mathomatic (unkown but may be worth looking at)

edit: just read

Anything simpler than sage math? It feels like I need to know a programming language to use it...
the below are atleast as complicated or more complicated than sage, including my last suggestion which ironically is learn a programing language.

axiom (gui is through a web page, but everything is local), i think there is quite a bit of work in axiom and axiom based derivatives now.

You could also look at matlab stuff (qtoctave, octave, freemat), but i could never be bothered to learn them.

Finally python isn't perfect (it only holds something like 17 significant figures), but if you learn how to use pylab and numpy it can be quite useful.

orlox
December 22nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
wxmaxima is my recommendation. Is has many similarities with mathematica and maple.

In any case, I have high hopes for sage. I currently don't use it cause there's no simple way to do vector calculus with it.