PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless File Sharing

BennieBlount
December 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have two PCs with Ubuntu 9.10 connected to one wireless router. I have the MUSIC folder on both PCs shared. I used this to install Samba:

apt-get install samba

When I click on "network" on either PC it goes to Windows Network and then to WORKGROUP. And it stops right there at WORKGROUP with a message that it is unable to mount WORKGROUP.

How do I view the shared folders on either PC?

Thanks,

Bennie

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM
From places: Connect to Server
select "Windows share" instead of public FTP
enter the IP address of the pc to connect to
Enter the user name and password of the user of the pc you are trying to connect to

BennieBlount
December 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks, but, what is the server address of the other computer? These 2 PCs are sitting side-by-side.

And, like Windows XP, shouldn't I be able to see these shared folders on the network?

Thocrun
December 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM
are they in the same workgroup?
what connection? (pc to pc or..dhcp router)

BennieBlount
December 20th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Both are connected to the same wireless router, which I suppose means they are in the same workgroup?

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 20th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Go to router's page by entering it's Ip in your browser. it should show the Ip's of attached PCs.

BennieBlount
December 20th, 2009, 01:44 AM
OK, I'll be back...

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM
my old router had the IP on the bottom of the device, the new one has it in the manual.
Should be similar to 192.168.5.1 Just a sample IP

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 20th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Go to router's page by entering it's Ip in your browser. it should show the Ip's of attached PCs.
In your web browser, sorry.

BennieBlount
December 20th, 2009, 02:06 AM

I got address but it and took your steps but I still get a "failed to connect to windows share" error

Thanks, I'll close this up for tonight.

Bennie

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM
only other idea is you may have the samba server installed but not client. Try apt-get install smb.:confused:

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 20th, 2009, 04:20 AM
have you selected folders to share? Right-click folder and choose "Sharing options"

inobe
December 20th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I got address but it and took your steps but I still get a "failed to connect to windows share" error

Thanks, I'll close this up for tonight.

Bennie

once you have installed samba you need to configure shares in smb.conf

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/samba-fileserver.html

to open smb.conf in terminal do

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

remember to change the default example path to the correct path !

example

[share]
comment = Ubuntu File Server Share
path = /srv/samba/share
browsable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no
create mask = 0755

the path = should be a directory like /home/username/music or whatever that directory is actually named, replace user name with actual user name.

you must have a valid path before you can edit your smb.conf, you can make one or use an existing path, here how to make one.

mkdir /home/username/shares replace user name with your actual username, the shares at end of path is an example an can be what ever name you desire.

follow the steps to configure smb carefully, review the settings in the link for further configurations, if their is something you don't understand let us know.

wootah
December 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Sorry if I missed this... but I thought I recall the release for Samba for 9.10 having problems with SMB.

Are you connecting to Windows 7? I thought I saw XP up above?