PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Cannot access /home partition after reinstall

goosenoose
December 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I shouldn't have lost my patience.

I upgraded to Xubuntu 9.10 a few days ago. Prior to the upgrade, I was having issues with Firefox (small issues, such as not being able to press enter in the top right search box and such). After the upgrade, I began to have issues with read/write permissions from Firefox.

My actions from that point were to reinstall from my Jaunty alternate disk.

My partitions are:
/, /home, and /swap.

On my reinstall I formatted and installed to the / and /swap partitions and set my installation to reuse my /home partition as my /home directory.

I cannot log in. I receive a message saying something like "You were logged in for 10s or less..." The detailed err output contains multiple messages that say that the system was unable to write/create new folders (Documents, Music, etc..) to /home.

I was able to log in with the failsafe terminal, however, I cannot do anything that requires writing to the /home directory.

I have data that I do not want to lose on my /home. Any and all help would be appreciated.

goosenoose
December 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
update:

so, i'm biking between my apartment and the library to get online...

the username that i registered on reinstallation is the same as the one i had prior to reinstall.

i'm was advised that i had to check the user-id of the directory/ownership and whether or not it's owned by 'root'... not sure how to do this, researching for the time being.

note - i do remember running that 'encryption' feature way back when after my first installation... could this be preventing my access?

phillw
December 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
update:

so, i'm biking between my apartment and the library to get online...

the username that i registered on reinstallation is the same as the one i had prior to reinstall.

i'm was advised that i had to check the user-id of the directory/ownership and whether or not it's owned by 'root'... not sure how to do this, researching for the time being.

note - i do remember running that 'encryption' feature way back when after my first installation... could this be preventing my access?

"encryption feature " would certainly stop you accessing it. Another one that can cause problems is not just the user name, but the actual UID - which can be different accross installs.

Assuming that /home is on /dev/sda9 (replace the 9 with what ever it is)

Boot with the LiveCD, drop to terminal

cd /
sudo mkdir /new
sudo mount /dev/sda9 /new

then cd'ing to /new and see if you can ls your files and directories - regardless of ownership

you may have to issue sudo cd and sudo ls !!

Phill.

goosenoose
February 28th, 2010, 05:34 PM
update:

so.. i've botched things up a bit. fie, human error.

reinstalled using a live disk. accidentally formatted the encrypted partition where the last three years of my life have been stored.

however, learning experience (backing things up now -_-)...

and.. testdisk/photorec. very interesting stuff.
and.. encryptedPrivateDirectories.

So what I'm trying to do now is mount my (formatted) encrypted partition through ecryptfs (link) (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory#Recovering Your Data Manually) with the idea that testdisk might find something if the drive is searched with correct decryption passphrase on assigned.

What my problem is: the encrypted partition does not show up in the /media even though I can clearly see it in nautilus when I go to the /media folder.

Why can't I see this partition in my terminal?