PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] apt-get error

NJ0E
December 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hello all,

tried to ad a repository this morning. after adding it I was given the following error and then the computer locked up and had to be restarted. I deleted the repository but was intrested to see if anyone had some information on this error. I'll try and submit it to the bug report as well.

Error:
E: Malformed line 63 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Thanks for the help.

snowpine
December 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Without more details, all I can tell you is, you added the repository incorrectly (at line 63 of /etc/apt/sources.list).

You can edit this file with:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

or

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

It would be helpful if you told the details: which repository were you trying to add, and why? In my experience, new users are better off sticking with the main Ubuntu repositories if stability is an important goal.

presence1960
December 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hello all,

tried to ad a repository this morning. after adding it I was given the following error and then the computer locked up and had to be restarted. I deleted the repository but was intrested to see if anyone had some information on this error. I'll try and submit it to the bug report as well.

Error:
E: Unable to lock the list directory
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Thanks for the help.
That is a common error meaning line 63 had an error in it. Try adding the repository again.

NJ0E
December 19th, 2009, 10:45 PM
snowpine, thanks for the "help" here is teh repository that I was trying to add. I had to hand jam it, for some reason copy paste wouldn't work.

I do admit that I am new to some of Ubuntu, but I do know how to add repositories. As I stated -- I deleted the repository and all is fine.

deb http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/pculture.org/miro/linux/repositories/ubuntu hardy/

utnubuuser
December 20th, 2009, 12:14 AM
sometimes web-page formating gets in the way. A safe work-around is to copy, paste to gedit, then re-copy from gedit to make sure you've got clean commands.