PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How often do files synchronize?

jonest1
December 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I did a test tonight and it seemed like it took about ten minutes for a file to be uploaded and then downloaded to my laptop with Ubuntu One. Does anybody have any specifics on the defaults or settings for Ubuntu One? I'm running Karmic on both machines.

skovy
December 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
have you ever forgotten a password and had it emailed to you? i imagine it works in a similar way, its gotta bounce around the world several times before finding the right address.

why would you need to upload something then in less then ten minutes download it again? why not just us a mem stick?

jonest1
December 26th, 2009, 05:58 AM
The desire to know how long we should expect for synchronization to another ubuntu one client is drawn out of a practical question.

If I am sharing a directory with another Ubuntu One customer, I may be in communication with the other party and place some files in the shared Ubuntu One directory per the course of that discussion. It is useful in that type of scenario to know about how long it should take for the files to be uploaded and made available to a 3rd party.

It may be useful to have a service which would synchronize on demand for these types of instances.

JimInLakeland
December 28th, 2009, 07:35 AM
The speed of transfer is dependent on the size of the file, the speed of your Internet connection, the speed of Canonical's connection and the load on their servers.