PDA

View Full Version : apt-get vs aptitude

beloved88
December 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM
ok, i have a question
what's the difference between apt-get and aptitude?
is one better than the other?
which one does's jaunty's add/remove programs utilize? or is it totally different? and synaptic package manager?
It's seems like aptitude is better, it tells you how much space the install is going to require, and also, several times i've tried to install a certain program or package using the add/remove interface or apt-get, and the program won't work, so i'll uninstall it and install it using aptitude and it works great. I specifically remember that problem with soundconverter. Also. var/log/apt seems to be missing, would creating that directory fix the problem, or is the an underlying issue?

kyuubi777
December 16th, 2009, 06:13 AM
sometimes it's just faster for me to sudo apt-get install than to use the synaptic or anything idk
that's weird about apt-get command not injecting the packets correctly.. never had that happen to me

greg963
December 16th, 2009, 06:15 AM
One has Super Cow Powers the other does not.

beloved88
December 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM
One has Super Cow Powers the other does not.

hey, i've gotten an error message before telling me that, but i can't remember which one it was. what does that mean!?

beloved88
December 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM
oh, i see

user@Skipper:~$ apt-get moo
(__)
(oo)
/------\/
/ | ||
* /\---/\
~~ ~~
...."Have you mooed today?"...
user@Skipper:~$ aptitude moo
There are no Easter Eggs in this program.

greg963
December 16th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Seems apt has always been a more mainstream tool (I used debian distros for years without ever knowing about aptitude) and it seems aptitude was always just assumed to be only a curses frontend to apt, but really it seems to be a much more complete all-in-one command line package management tool. But apt is still a very good tool, it is just a little harder to remember the commands sometimes.

khelben1979
December 16th, 2009, 08:04 PM
apt-get works good for me.

Sef
December 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Moved to recurring discussions.

mthei
December 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM
oh, i see

user@Skipper:~$ apt-get moo
(__)
(oo)
/------\/
/ | ||
* /\---/\
~~ ~~
...."Have you mooed today?"...
user@Skipper:~$ aptitude moo
There are no Easter Eggs in this program.

Of course there are: