PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Madwifi on Acer Aspire One ZG5

dashnak
December 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Hi:
I'm using ubuntu 9.10 with kernel 2.6.31-16-generic. Since I installed this version I've been trying to install the madwifi drivers. I'm perfectly able to use the open source ath5k drivers, but I really prefer using madwifi, as they allow me to use my network interface as an access point and injects packages in a more efficient way.
The driver compiles and installs with no problems whatsoever. I can modprobe it sucessfully. The problem is that sometimes it shows the network interfaces, sometimes it doesn't, and I've never been able to run a successful 'iwlist scanning' with those drivers. It shows nothing. I've even tried with the testing hal branch.
I thought that maybe my interface was turning itself off or something and tried toggling the on/off switch with no results.
Has anyone been able to do this on this hardware? Any suggestions? Has something in the kernel changed drastically? Anything?
This is really bugging me, because I use my interface in ad-hoc mode to share 3G Internet with my girlfriend. It worked flawlessly in 8.10
Thanks.

redzheb
December 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM
i don't know if you could've managed your problem. i have a zg5 as well. installed madwifi following this instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L
wifi is working fine. im using kubuntu netbook remix with nm-applet instead of the default plasmoid.
cheers

dashnak
December 25th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I haven't been able to get it to work. I'll try the instructions you posted, and will let you know. Thanks!