PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System76... will you ship to Europe one day?

the8thstar
December 13th, 2009, 12:49 AM
The title says it all...

I'm wondering why System76 has not yet started shipping their UbuntuPCs to Europe. Any answers? With the favorable exchange rate between the US dollar and the euro, the shipping fees would not be too much to bear for us Europeans.

JDorfler
December 13th, 2009, 01:34 AM
If they won't ship to APOs, why would they ship to Europe? I recommend Newegg or Cyberpowerpc without a OS, and just install what you want from there.

the8thstar
December 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM
APOs? I don't know what that is.

Anyway, I'll check the sites you mentioned.

EDIT : none ships to Europe. Back to square one.

Eldera
December 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
APOs? I don't know what that is.

APO: Army Post Offices (of the US Army)

jdb
December 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
APO: Army Post Offices (of the US Army)

I spent 7 years in the military & half of that overseas.
I sure knew what an APO was, but never knew what the letters stood for :)

jdb

the8thstar
December 14th, 2009, 01:59 AM
So are there any valid equivalences to System76 in Europe?

amaab
December 15th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I'm also looking for something like System76 in Europe. Havent found anything yet.

vajorie
December 25th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I couldn't find any in Europe. Local shops might help. Or building a barebones laptop (so you know for sure what hardware it comes with and you won't have to deal with Windows refunds).

I'll buy one from system76 a year (warranty) before I'm going back to my home country indefinitely (in a few years).

Lee_Machine
December 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM
This question comes up a lot. There are package forwarding services that do it for you. This way S76 will ship to the US Address you will get, and they will forward it to your International address.

This is how I got my S76 computer in Japan, and buy electronics from Amazon, Apple, and any other site that wont ship to me.

Only downside with this is you will have to pay for shipping if you need to send the computer back for repairs.

www.bongous.com is one package forwarder.

I use www.apobox.com, but it's only if you have an APO address. I know lots of people that use package forwarders, but I don't remember which ones. I will have to ask, and if I remember I will post them.

hkarl629
December 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Go to www.shipit.ubuntu.com and request a free CD. This is a "live CD" and from it you can install Ubuntu on literally any computer you possess. You can make it a dual boot machine or let it wipe away whatever version of Windows you may be running and install Ubuntu. I did this with a 7 year old IBM Thinkpad R-40. The machine works very well. Good luck.
hkarl629

thomasaaron
December 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM
There are package forwarding services that do it for you. This way S76 will ship to the US Address you will get, and they will forward it to your International address.

There is one small hitch with this. If you are using a U.S. or Canadian-issued credit card, you will have to get the forwarding service's address added to your account notes. We will then call the credit card company to verify that you've added it.

However, if you are using cards issued in other nations, they sometimes do not support this, and we don't really make international calls to verify that the address has been added. We usually run into language barriers this way.

Just FYI: As, Lee_Machine said, we do not provide warranty support outside of the U.S. and Canada. So you would be responsible for shipping both ways in the event of a hardware issue.

the8thstar
December 31st, 2009, 10:13 PM
Go to www.shipit.ubuntu.com and request a free CD. This is a "live CD" and from it you can install Ubuntu on literally any computer you possess. You can make it a dual boot machine or let it wipe away whatever version of Windows you may be running and install Ubuntu. I did this with a 7 year old IBM Thinkpad R-40. The machine works very well. Good luck.
hkarl629

Thanks a lot for the idea. Actually that's how I got my two PCs to run Ubuntu... since 2007! :P

freechelmi
January 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi , At least in France we have a few vendors for preinstalled linux laptops. I can't say it's always a bargain but it might be interresting for you :

Take the first 10 Lines of this sites which list who sell hardware without the "Microsoft Tax" :

http://bons-vendeurs-ordinateurs.info/

intok
January 8th, 2010, 01:48 PM
France? theres always the get your M$ tax back method http://www.racketiciel.info/

I only found this and one for Poland http://polishlinux.org/linux/how-to-get-a-refund-for-windows-in-poland/ due to a recent news post about Italians suing MS for their OEM contracts http://www.osnews.com/story/22697/Italy_Class-Action_Lawsuit_Planned_Over_Windows_OEM_Copies

CbrPad
January 13th, 2010, 12:55 PM
+1 on this. I'm looking at the Serval with i7, nvidia and full hd display and I would happily kill for one, even more so if they had the option of 17-18.3" screens.

intok
January 13th, 2010, 02:47 PM
+1 on this. I'm looking at the Serval with i7, nvidia and full hd display and I would happily kill for one, even more so if they had the option of 17-18.3" screens.

I don't get the obsession with high powered CPUs on a laptop, or hell even a desktop, for at least 5 years now even an entry level dual core, the Atomn330 excluded is plenty of cpu for any game out there, the limiting factor is the GPU, gimp the cpu out, and pile on the GPU and ram.

Also SSD drives and bigger batteries available bto instead of a stock battery and a spare thats got more cells, I'd rather get 1-2 of the larger batts and skip the weak ones.

CbrPad
January 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I don't get the obsession with high powered CPUs on a laptop, or hell even a desktop, for at least 5 years now even an entry level dual core, the Atomn330 excluded is plenty of cpu for any game out there, the limiting factor is the GPU, gimp the cpu out, and pile on the GPU and ram.

Also SSD drives and bigger batteries available bto instead of a stock battery and a spare thats got more cells, I'd rather get 1-2 of the larger batts and skip the weak ones.

You're not looking wide enough I'm afraid, we don't all play games and there's a lot more requirements out there than just that. I'm a photographer and constantly on the move so need something portable and a desktop won't do. I want hd res so I can see as much of my pictures as possible, and a very powerful cpu and lots of ram for batch-processing and things like stitching huge panoramas, hdrs, etc, together fast. I also run 3d rendering and heavy duty maths software as a hobby.

Sure I used to do a lot of gaming when I was a teenager on my old Sinclair and Amiga, but I don't play anything now, even the default ones are wiped immediately upon install. I think the last games I played heavily were Descent and Duke Nukem, which must be er, about 15 years ago. Crikey, that's scary actually, where has time gone, lol !

mtron
January 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM
dell ships laptops with pre-installed ubuntu in some EU states. See: http://www.ubuntu.com/dell#weu

isantop
July 7th, 2010, 09:30 PM

The limiting factor to a computer's performance will always be the weakest part. If you buy a high end GPU and an entry-level CPU, you cram the CPU with 100% usage while letting the GPU take a rest all the time.

I like to think of it this way: let's say you have two people handing stones across a river. If one person is slow, then the whole process will go slow. If they're both fast, it will be done much sooner.

Same for CPU/GPU.

Also consider that not all games are GPU intensive, or are much more CPU intensive than GPU intensive.

And finally, don't gimp on anything. The inverse of all of this is true, and you can have a bad graphics card piggyback on a nice CPU either.

My $.02.

volkerbradley
July 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I bought a Serval Professional from System76 and am very happy with it.
Would be willing to ship a system to you if you want.
Write me. volkerbradley@gmail.com
Volker

This question comes up a lot. There are package forwarding services that do it for you. This way S76 will ship to the US Address you will get, and they will send it to your International address.

This is how I got my S76 computer in Japan, and buy electronics from Amazon, Apple, and any other site that wont ship to me.

Only downside with this is you will have to pay for shipping if you need to send the computer back for repairs.

www.bongous.com is one package forwarder.

I use www.apobox.com, but it's only if you have an APO address. I know lots of people that use package forwarders, but I don't remember which ones. I will have to ask, and if I remember I will post them.