PDA

View Full Version : How do I submit a program logo?

murderslastcrow
December 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Reason for this is that some programs (WinFF, for example) have very unappealing and rough icons that should be made better, especially for when you're switching between minimized applications in compiz, for example. Then you have this giant crap icon staring you in the face.

So I was wondering if icon artwork is an acceptable form of contributing to Ubuntu, and if so, who should I contact to get some slicker icons assigned? Is this possible, or do we have to use the software author's original icon? There are just some programs that deserve a better icon, to be honest.

I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this, but I couldn't see any support forum being adequate for this question.

Another question while I'm at it- what programs do you use that you think could use a redux?

FuturePilot
December 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Probably best to go to the upstream developer of the software because then it will eventually filter down through Debian and into Ubuntu. And it would also be made available to any other distro that packages the program.

Simian Man
December 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
The best thing to do would be to submit it to the program's original creators. Most projects have contact information, forums or, at worst, you can submit a request on their issue tracker with your suggestion.

murderslastcrow
December 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, you guys. Already contacted a few and subtly insulted their artistic senses. I'm sure to get far offending software authors. XD

Jk, jk, the feedback has generally been positive.

Exodist
December 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Reason for this is that some programs (WinFF, for example) have very unappealing and rough icons that should be made better, especially for when you're switching between minimized applications in compiz, for example. Then you have this giant crap icon staring you in the face.

So I was wondering if icon artwork is an acceptable form of contributing to Ubuntu, and if so, who should I contact to get some slicker icons assigned? Is this possible, or do we have to use the software author's original icon? There are just some programs that deserve a better icon, to be honest.

I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this, but I couldn't see any support forum being adequate for this question.

Another question while I'm at it- what programs do you use that you think could use a redux?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork

Its a little hastle to get going. But get on the mailing list. Also check the artwork forums.