PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Hits the Billion Download Mark

Sirin
February 23rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
As of 2 hours ago, iTunes has become the first online service ever to reach 1 Billion song downloads. iTunes has therefore, just given Microsoft's upcoming "URGE" service absolutely NO chance at winning.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/1billion/

Protostar
February 23rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
I refuse to buy song from iTunes or any other pay download service. I refuse to be locked into some proprietary format.

Brunellus
February 23rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
I refuse to buy song from iTunes or any other pay download service. I refuse to be locked into some proprietary format.
hear, hear.

YourSurrogateGod
February 23rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
I'm surprised that it took them so long. I thought that reached and beat that mark some time ago.

YourSurrogateGod
February 23rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
If you get it as an mp3, you can convert it to *.ogg. I've done it before.

xequence
February 23rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
If you get it as an mp3, you can convert it to *.ogg. I've done it before.

And its called transcoding, which is bad for the quality.

But I aggree. I will never buy from iTunes.

The only digital music store worth mentioning is allofmp3, very acceptable prices and no DRM.

Oh, and doesent the RIAA get 70cents per 99cent download?

Thats 700 million dollars to the RIAA :(

Wallakoala
February 23rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
wow...did you see what the 1 billionth buyer got?
The prize for the billionth song purchased:
iMac, iPod and iTunes Gift Card

* One 20-inch iMac
* Ten 60GB iPods (5 white/5 black)
* One U.S. $10,000 iTunes Music Card (good for any media type)

TEN ipods?!!?!?

dosed150
February 23rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
that person will suddenly become very popular with 9 ipods they wont be using

Donshyoku
February 24th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Oh, and doesent the RIAA get 70cents per 99cent download?

Thats 700 million dollars to the RIAA :(

Is that true!? Link?

I am really curious!

xequence
February 24th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Is that true!? Link?

I am really curious!

I know the RIAA gets a big percentage of the money. I am pretty sure it is 70 cents per song.

Kernel Sanders
February 24th, 2006, 12:53 AM
1 Billion songs downloaded, and I still dont care about itunes! \\:D/

I have never even been to their webpage! Have no idea of anything about them apart from the fact that they sell music in their own format (Not mp3 .ogg i believe?) with DRM.

Thats all I need to know to boycott them!

I buy my cd's from a shop, rip them to my hard drive, and play. Mp3, no DRM, beautiful! :p

rfruth
February 24th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Hey xequence have I seen you on discussions.apple.com b4 ? In any event I use iTunes on my G3 iMac all the time then I capture the playback with Audiodacity and save the result as a MP3 :p anyway on my breezy box I use Rhapsody http://www.rhapsody.com/ its Linux friendly and you get a free trial :)

xequence
February 24th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Hey xequence have I seen you on discussions.apple.com b4 ?

I dont think so... And I dont think anyone else uses this username on any other sites. Its pretty unique. Ive had many problems with usernames conflicting before... I used to be Xyn until I got people asking me if I was this guy from some hotel game or something =P

n any event I use iTunes on my G3 iMac all the time then I capture the playback with Audiodacity and save the result as a MP3

I had to convert a couple WMA's to MP3 last night to put on my MP3 player. Didnt notice any quality changes, but thats because they were already low quality demos anyway :P

YourSurrogateGod
February 24th, 2006, 01:13 AM
wow...did you see what the 1 billionth buyer got?
The prize for the billionth song purchased:
iMac, iPod and iTunes Gift Card

* One 20-inch iMac
* Ten 60GB iPods (5 white/5 black)
* One U.S. $10,000 iTunes Music Card (good for any media type)

TEN ipods?!!?!?
Maybe I should get in touch with Mr. Ostrovsky...

Sirin
February 24th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Maybe I should get in touch with Mr. Ostrovsky...

Give the rest 8 to me! :D

briancurtin
February 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Have no idea of anything about them apart from the fact that they sell music in their own format (Not mp3 .ogg i believe?) with DRM.

Thats all I need to know to boycott them!
yes, boycotting open formats is a great idea...

they dont sell oggs on there as far as i know. i bought one MP3 on there when i used windows.

dosed150
February 24th, 2006, 07:08 PM
itunes sells drm aac format

briancurtin
February 24th, 2006, 07:09 PM
i knew the letters D-R-M were involved, and also knew that the letters o-g-g werent. glad we got that one solved.

DigitalDuality
February 24th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Unless they start selling open, lossless, non-DRM formatted music.. they'll never see a penny of my money. I'd settle for OGG but even that wouldn't be good enough in terms of quality. If i'm giving you a dollar or more for a freaking song, it better equal or better cd quality.

poofyhairguy
February 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM
All this means to me is that there are a billion tracks out there that will never play on Linux because of the DRM, holding back thousands of people from ever switching over.

iTunes is the devil.

BWF89
February 24th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Especially a proprietary format (AAC) that is only playable on the iPod and your computer.