PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] sh:grub> after grub update - 12/12

mantaor
December 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hi guys,

for the third time from installation of Karmic in 10/2009, after update I had sh:grub> ecc ecc (few minutes ago). I have already solved the problem.
My question is: how is possible to release update that always block PC?
I have seen the details during installation: the grub update seemed to have found all partitions.
last 3 important update = 3 sh:grub>
If wubi doesn't work, please delete it.

Thanks for your support

phillw
December 12th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hi guys,

for the third time from installation of Karmic in 10/2009, after update I had sh:grub> ecc ecc (few minutes ago). I have already solved the problem.
My question is: how is possible to release update that always block PC?
I have seen the details during installation: the grub update seemed to have found all partitions.
last 3 important update = 3 sh:grub>
If wubi doesn't work, please delete it.

Thanks for your support

Whilst I understand your frustrations, removing Wubi is not the answer. There is, plainly, an issue with updates on it - these will be being looked into.
Just as some people decry moving over to grub2.
Progress has to be made & that does involve releasing software that has not been tested on every computer configuration in the world.

Whilst a lot of people just want it to work, for many - the change over to Ubuntu (or any linux) is to actually learn something about how their computer works.

I'm currently playing 'try and break my computer' with the alpha of 10.04 It is only by testing the releases can problems be flagged. Rest assured - people are working on the problem, in the mean-time, you'll know the rescue script off by heart.

A sense of humour is always a useful trait at times like this ;)

Phill.

mantaor
December 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thank you Phil, I'll resist with my set root=(loop0) ecc. I'm waiting 10.04 for a fresh and durable installation (LTS!)

Thanks again for your development and please, don't crash your PC, only freeze it :)

phillw
December 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Thank you Phil, I'll resist with my set root=(loop0) ecc. I'm waiting 10.04 for a fresh and durable installation (LTS!)

Thanks again for your development and please, don't crash your PC, only freeze it :)

I don't do the development - I only loan my machine and report back any issues. Like yourself, I'm awaiting for the LTS.
As a point, if you're awaiting the LTS, you may want to consider moving from Wubi to Dual Booting. If nothing else, it will stop the Grub problem each-time Wubi updates.

9.10 has all pre-requisites for 10.04

Oh, and I keep the blog upto date in case any others fancy 'lending' a bit of hard drive & couple of hours now and again to the testing of Lucid Lynx

Phill.