PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] devede and Smile conflict?

dave r
December 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I have just done a clean install of Karmic after using Jaunty. In jaunty I had both Smile and devede and made some great slide shows. I am now trying to install devede and smile in karmac but I am finding that installing smile removes devede and installing devede removes smile, can someone tell me how to get them both on the same computer and playing nice. I have searched this forum and the only thing I found was to do with manslide and devede which did'nt make much sense.

cotcot
December 12th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have smile and devede running. I compiled smile as explained on the smile website. Then I have compiled devede 3.14.0 as usual (./configure ; make ; sudo checkinstall).

dave r
December 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I have smile and devede running. I compiled smile as explained on the smile website. Then I have compiled devede 3.14.0 as usual (./configure ; make ; sudo checkinstall).

Thanks for the reply, you will need to explain compile in simple layman's terms, I have never compiled any thing,

cotcot
December 12th, 2009, 08:59 PM
If you have never compiled a program then you should read about this first.
Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo) is howto for compiling

dave r
December 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM
If you have never compiled a program then you should read about this first.
Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo) is howto for compiling

Cheers I will have a play with that when I have more time, any idea what's changed in karmic and stopped them existing on the same computer?

mc4man
December 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Where are you getting the Smile package from? (assuming you didn't build it

dave r
December 12th, 2009, 11:26 PM
mc4man from getdeb http://old.getdeb.net/release/4750

mc4man
December 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The problem is that smile-data depends on smilutils which while available in karmic it is misconfigured as to it's libavcodec versions

Devede depends on the extra versions of the ffmpeg libs (libavcodec-extra-52

That why devede is being removed and vica-versa

smilutils should have been configured for karmic with depend allowing the extra instead of unstripped versions

It would be better to fix smilutils which can be done very easily without compiling, could describe later if needed (have to go out.

This will also work, shouldn't cause any issue, if so post back and we'll fix smilutils

Install devede first, then go into synaptic, search ffmpeg, and install all the 'unstripped' libraries

Make sure you install a stripped version for every extra version installed (up to 7 possible

Don't remove the extra versions installed, the unstripped packages are just dummy transitional ones.

The your smile-data will install without removing anything (tested here see screen 3, devede is installed and not removed

dave r
December 13th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks mc4man I will have a look at that this afternoon,sound good.

mc4man
December 13th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Small note - there is a new karmic version of your Smile on getdeb, though they aren't providing a smilutils so the issue would be the same.

If you decide to use that version you'll still need to install the 'unstripped' transitional packages as described.

The downside to the 'new' getdeb, - it appears you need to add getdeb to your software sources to install packages.

While I quess that would be ok, if you do so, I'd disable the getdeb source after installing smile ( or anything else you wanted from there.

If you leave the source enabled and do an update thru the update manager then any package you have installed that's also in the getdeb repo will be updated and that's not always a good thing

http://www.getdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu/9.10/?q=smile

Edit: if the unstripped cause you any issue then I'll show you how to edit the deb ( basically you download it and open the control file with a small script. Then save and a new modified .deb will be made - quite simple

screen shows the edits (replaced unstripped with extra in 4 places

dave r
December 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
The problem is that smile-data depends on smilutils which while available in karmic it is misconfigured as to it's libavcodec versions

Devede depends on the extra versions of the ffmpeg libs (libavcodec-extra-52

That why devede is being removed and vica-versa

smilutils should have been configured for karmic with depend allowing the extra instead of unstripped versions

It would be better to fix smilutils which can be done very easily without compiling, could describe later if needed (have to go out.

This will also work, shouldn't cause any issue, if so post back and we'll fix smilutils

Install devede first, then go into synaptic, search ffmpeg, and install all the 'unstripped' libraries

Make sure you install a stripped version for every extra version installed (up to 7 possible

Don't remove the extra versions installed, the unstripped packages are just dummy transitional ones.

The your smile-data will install without removing anything (tested here see screen 3, devede is installed and not removed

Seems to have done the trick, I have both on the magic box. I have started a slideshow and all seems to be well, the only thing I have encountered is a warning when opening Smile that smile control dependencies are missing SOX-MP3 support, not available on your system.

mc4man
December 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
possibly ( if desired

sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-mp3

And as mentioned you'd be able to upgrade to a karmic build from getdeb if you wish - it should install cleanly - ( just don't leave the source enabled

dave r
December 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
All sorted, thanks for all your help mc4man