PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] login "greeter" fails

skylang
December 12th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 from a live disk, choosing the "Install Ubuntu" option. The install went well, no problems. Then I tried two create to new desktop users. Now I can't login. I get a blank rectangle at the login screen. Everything is frozen except the CPU shutdown button. When I touch it, then select the Reboot optoin that comes up, I get a message "gdm-simple-greeter.desktop not responding". If I reboot, I just get back to that message.

Now I've tried starting with the live disk, but there's no sign of the users I created with the HD OS. How do I fix this?

NuttBoxer
December 17th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I've had this exact problem. I named one of my users "guest", not sure if this could cause such a problem? Anyway, I'm surprised no one has responded to this. I have another computer that I've been running 9.10 on since it released, no problems. That computer only has the main account though.

LinuxBob
December 19th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I have the same problem upgrading my Dell 1505n laptop. NO desktop greeter. I too created a "guest" account. I doubt that is the issue as I have the account on two other 9.10 machines that work fine.