PDA

View Full Version : Firefox goodbye, welcome Chrome

bruno9779
December 12th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I have just installed Chrome beta linux, just for curiosity.

It turn out to be much more responsive than Firefox (even a carefully tweaked Firefox)

Everything works great and when I imported my firefox settings I had a clone of my FF, but without lag

it imported also all the compatible plugins and their configuration (xmarks)

And best of all FLASH WORKS!!!!

it uses the same library that FF does, but ALL the flash sites that opened in an unusable state are now working great.

I discovered that it uses the same lib as mozilla, killing the process "exe" that chrome creates every time I open a flash site.
the error message goes:

The following plug-in has crashed: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

I haven't opened FF in 3 days, if not to confirm that a flash site does not work there, but does in chrome.

The suckiness of FF since 3.0 has made me say goodbye for good.
It is a pity, because it was my favourite browser.

DeusExM1
December 12th, 2009, 06:30 AM
cant agree with you more. been with chrome since yesterday. Puts firefox to shame.,

Sef
December 12th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Moved.

RiceMonster
December 12th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I've switched as well. I just find it to be quicker and the the interface is just very nice clean, and compact. Now that there's the AdThwart extension, that made me switch over for good.

ElSlunko
December 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I switched then switched back after a while. Just too many cool addons for FF.

jacobs444
December 12th, 2009, 07:13 AM
FF 3.0 sucked until 3.4+, but personally after 3.4+ I have no lag, but congrats on finding a browser you really like.

Bigtime_Scrub
December 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Is it stable? I've been using Chromium since almost day 1 and stability is very hit or miss on it.

crimesaucer
December 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Is it stable? I've been using Chromium since almost day 1 and stability is very hit or miss on it.

I tried Chromium the first week that they got a 64-bit build and it was ok but seemed to need some more work, then I built a newer version last week and it turned out terrible..... it was so buggy that it was unusable.

Then I installed the official Chrome beta for Linux 64-bit and it is very stable.

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Feh screw chrome, I for one like to have privacy thank you.

~sHyLoCk~
December 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I switched then switched back after a while. Just too many cool addons for FF.

FEBE, my whole internet life depends on it.

Ylon
December 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I am using Google Chrome from dev channel once aviable... and still keep use the ustable branch.
I was used to Opera browser, and Firefox only for Video Downloader Helper. From wich had Chrome I did take as my really second option over Opera (still my preferred one BTW). Now I am really consider Firefox's removal.

Anyway, when it will be append... I will consider Chrome removal also. All my browser needs match perfectly with Opera :popcorn:

Regenweald
December 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I tried Chromium the first week that they got a 64-bit build and it was ok but seemed to need some more work, then I built a newer version last week and it turned out terrible..... it was so buggy that it was unusable.

Then I installed the official Chrome beta for Linux 64-bit and it is very stable.

Last week had some serious rendering issues. Fixed now. As for privacy, in options>>under the hood>>privacy, turn off everything but dns pre-fetching.

crimesaucer
December 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Last week had some serious rendering issues. Fixed now. As for privacy, in options>>under the hood>>privacy, turn off everything but dns pre-fetching.

Then I might build another version of Chromium64 (it took over 3 hours).

Regenweald
December 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Then I might build another version of Chromium64 (it took over 3 hours).

For a quick peek you can use chromium-daily ppa.

SuperSonic4
December 13th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I don't trust google re:privacy

plurworldinc
December 13th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Last week I installed Chrome and I find the speed to be amazing compared to Firefox. So far for me Chrome seems like a very smooth and relaxed web browser that can give Firefox a run for it's money. On the other hand Firefox is still a very strong open source web browser that I will keep on my system as my default until Chrome can prove it's self over time.

So far thumbs up for Chrome, it's a very sweet browser to work with.

karamu
December 13th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I've switched as well. I just find it to be quicker and the the interface is just very nice clean, and compact. Now that there's the AdThwart extension, that made me switch over for good.

Is that like Ad Block? I tried Chromium and liked it but having adverts on my screen really sucked- if there is an equivalent I might be more inclined to try again.

Yvan300
December 13th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Chromium is now my default browser. It has a few qwerks with pages not responding once in a while but still it is quite stable. Btw what is the big difference between chrome and chromium other than one is owned by google?

running_rabbit07
December 13th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Haven't tried Chrome yet. My school's site only works with IE and Firefox. I use Prism for Facebook. I may try it one day. I am glad you like it.:)

Regenweald
December 13th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Is that like Ad Block? I tried Chromium and liked it but having adverts on my screen really sucked- if there is an equivalent I might be more inclined to try again.

Try one of these :) (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=web+filter)

crimesaucer
December 13th, 2009, 03:11 AM
For a quick peek you can use chromium-daily ppa.

I'm one of those Arch users that migrated from Ubuntu and didn't want to leave the forums. So thank you for trying to help, but my only option right now is to build from the AUR.

Arch should be making an official package for Chromium for their "extra" repository, I think I'll wait for that one to avoid the 3 hours it took me to build the last version.

Regenweald
December 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I'm one of those Arch users that migrated from Ubuntu and didn't want to leave the forums. So thank you for trying to help, but my only option right now is to build from the AUR.

Arch should be making an official package for Chromium for their "extra" repository, I think I'll wait for that one to avoid the 3 hours it took me to build the last version.

Ahh, makes sense :) Once it hits 'extra' you have a lot to look forward to. You should get some nice cold startups on arch...

karamu
December 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Try one of these :) (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=web+filter)

Sweet, thanks- got AdThwart and Flashblock installed- it may be a while before I use Firefox again!!

Roger Allott
December 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I've just installed Chrome and I'm astonished how fast it loads pages!

Is the pre-fetch feature the reason it loads pages so quickly? If so, will Firefox be implementing something similar soon?

sports fan Matt
December 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I have done the same :)