PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] One: Uploading folders

Chapita
December 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I've had a folder with several pictures that I need to have in several computers, but uploading one by one can be eternal...there's not an option to upload the whole folder or, even better, upload using any FTP client?.
Besides, if there is a chance to setup a FTP client...what are the settings?
Thanks!

piojunbabia
December 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM
i think the best thing to do is to put those pics in an archive and upload the archive, ,might work... archiving it, you need to figure that out. :)

joshuahoover
December 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I've had a folder with several pictures that I need to have in several computers, but uploading one by one can be eternal...there's not an option to upload the whole folder or, even better, upload using any FTP client?.
Besides, if there is a chance to setup a FTP client...what are the settings?
Thanks!

The best way to upload a folder or multiple files is to use the Ubuntu One client. If you are not using Ubuntu to upload files to Ubuntu One then your next best option is to zip up the files and upload them that way.

Thank you,

Joshua

paradigm2
December 19th, 2009, 03:45 AM
With Karmic I simply copy the folder in Nautilus and then paste it into the Ubuntu One folder. This has worked for me at times and seems very easy however there are apparently some bugs that are being fixed.

ctdahle
December 21st, 2009, 04:55 AM
If you have installed the Ubuntu One client, you just need to create the folder as a subdirectory and it will automatically be there online as well. They've made it incredibly easy, you guys are overcomplicating it.

juancarlospaco
December 21st, 2009, 06:51 AM
BTW FTP is not so secure...

William.Herry
December 24th, 2009, 05:22 AM
If you have installed the Ubuntu One client, you just need to create the folder as a subdirectory and it will automatically be there online as well. They've made it incredibly easy, you guys are overcomplicating it.

that's right

arito
December 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM

What you just described mostly doesn't work for me. Hours of trials of file sharing between two computers. Some sporadic success, but mostly just frustration. It would have been fair to tell "Service not ready for serious use. May or may not work properly." Documentation is also too scarce - as if some one was thinking that the less there's documentation, more simple the service appears to be.

venik212
January 12th, 2010, 11:58 PM
You can use dropbox-- it works like a charm.
Just go to Dropbox.com.

pietro2580
March 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I totally agree: Ubuntu One is not working properly (so please don't say we over overcomplicating things, it just doesn't work).
If you upload a directory tree, only the files in the "root" directory are synchronize, while for the subdirectories are uploaded, but these subdirectories are empty.

So just sticking to DropBox...

joshuahoover
March 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I totally agree: Ubuntu One is not working properly (so please don't say we over overcomplicating things, it just doesn't work).
If you upload a directory tree, only the files in the "root" directory are synchronize, while for the subdirectories are uploaded, but these subdirectories are empty.

So just sticking to DropBox...

When you are attempting to sync a lot of files/folders, it can take a while. We're working on addressing this issue as it is a big problem for those that want to make the most of the file sync service. We've been making enhancements on both the client and server sides to address this issue but still have a ways to go to get it to where we feel it's optimal. We appreciate everyone's patience as we get things really rocking for syncing lots of files and folders.

Thanks,

Joshua

Bilderbikkel
September 23rd, 2010, 06:10 PM

I found out that ctdahle is right: in Nautilus I right-clicked a folder and chose 'Synchronize on Ubuntu One'. On the Ubuntu One website, I also added this folder, but did not upload a single file. Then it takes a lot of patience: on my computer it took about one hour per 5 Mb to become synchronized.