PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How can I use gtkpod to add album art?

curiousnoob
December 9th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I have just purchased a new 160GB iPod Classic and have been using gtkpod to add my music. I have only two issues standing between me and total iPod bliss.
1. I can't seem to find out how to add Album Art. I am creating the mp3s using EAC but neither it nor gtkpod seem to have an option to search for album art.
2. The only option that gtkpod gives for me to organize my music is under "podcasts". Everything still works but all my music is in the podcast folder. How can I put it directly into my music folder?

*Issue solved by post #8* :D

LuisGMarine
December 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hello. Please give Sonbird a try. Songbird has the option to auto download album art. You can follow the link in my signature to learn how to install it on your Ubuntu system.

Good Luck.:popcorn:

curiousnoob
December 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Songbird seems to be exactly what I need to manage the music on my PC but is there any way to import the album art from songbird to my iPod?

LuisGMarine
December 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
When you sync it to your iPod it doesn't sync the songs with album art?

curiousnoob
December 11th, 2009, 03:18 AM
When you sync it to your iPod it doesn't sync the songs with album art?

No it doesn't. If there is a way to make that work it would be perfect. I installed the iPod Device Support and but the album art does not seem to transfer. Do you have another add on or are my settings off?

LuisGMarine
December 11th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I'd have to look into it some more. Right now I have to check my iPod to see if it has album art. I don't really care for album art on my ipod since I don't stare at it, just plug it in my car and store it away in my glove compartment, I control the ipod through my cars stereo .. which displays no album art =P

curiousnoob
December 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
After some more research it seems that Songbird cannot currently put album art on the iPod but apparently Banshee can. But I can't seem to find out how to manually add custom art using that. Two steps forward, one step back. However this thread has served it's purpose. As of Dec. 11 2009 gtkpod and Songbird DO NOT have the ability put Album Art on the iPod.

foresto
December 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Regarding cover art, here are the relevant gtkpod wiki pages:
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Cover+Art
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Adding+Cover+Art+from+a+browser

I can right-click track and album names and select Edit Track Details to manually add cover art (once I have jpeg images to add). 500x500 pixels is a popular resolution. More often, though, I just keep the cover art as a file called "folder.jpg" in each album's folder on my hard drive. Then, when I drop the folder onto gtkpod, it automatically picks up the art.

I don't know why all your music would be in the podcasts folder, but perhaps you could move it by dragging tracks onto the main ipod icon in the left sidebar? (The icon looks like a cable plugged into a socket.) If all else fails, it might be worth hooking up to a computer with iTunes and using it to restore the ipod. This will wipe out your music, but it will reset everything to a clean state, after which you can copy your music back onto the ipod.

curiousnoob
December 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Regarding cover art, here are the relevant gtkpod wiki pages:
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Cover+Art
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Adding+Cover+Art+from+a+browser

I can right-click track and album names and select Edit Track Details to manually add cover art (once I have jpeg images to add). 500x500 pixels is a popular resolution. More often, though, I just keep the cover art as a file called "folder.jpg" in each album's folder on my hard drive. Then, when I drop the folder onto gtkpod, it automatically picks up the art.

I don't know why all your music would be in the podcasts folder, but perhaps you could move it by dragging tracks onto the main ipod icon in the left sidebar? (The icon looks like a cable plugged into a socket.) If all else fails, it might be worth hooking up to a computer with iTunes and using it to restore the ipod. This will wipe out your music, but it will reset everything to a clean state, after which you can copy your music back onto the ipod.

You are a fantastic human being. It works perfectly. As a plus I can put any pic I want as the album cover and even swap them out if I change my mind. Thank you.