PDA

View Full Version : Sabayon? Anyone ever used it?

Kdar
December 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Anyone used Sabayon here?
What do you all this of it?

As I understand it is pre-configured Gentoo, right? It would still compile everything from source like Gentoo does?

(Probably so, since installing something like Skype, with some dependencies, takes about 2-3 hours). I am running it in Vbox now

Have anyone use it for a long time here?

mdmarmer
December 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Sabayon is interesting to try. It has compiz and pulseaudio out of the box. You have your choice of installing from compiled packages or from source. Most Sabayon users install from a live DVD and update/upgrade using pre-compiled packages (they have a package manager equo that's not much different from apt as far as usability). There is a very good community now. Personally I prefer a debian base but I do have all my boxes set up multiboot to include Sabayon.

Mike

Kdar
December 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM
ah, so those packages are pre-compiled? same thing like in apt-get? binary files? or is it different?

I wonder why it took me so long to install something there.

snowpine
December 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM
ah, so those packages are pre-compiled? same thing like in apt-get? binary files? or is it different?

I wonder why it took me so long to install something there.

Sabayon has two package managers: Sulfur/Equo (for installing binary packages like in Ubuntu) and Portage/Emerge (for compiling from source like in Gentoo).

It is a neat "kitchen sink" distro; I am testing it for the first time so I don't have a strong opinion yet. :)

BrokenKingpin
December 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have used Sabayon a number of times. I like the distro and it has a lot of good features, but it always seems overly buggy. It also comes with far too much stuff installed. It has potential and I will probably check it out in a few releases again to see how it is coming along.

SuperSonic4
December 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Sabayon comes with far too many stuff for me

Kdar
December 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
yes. I also noted that, a bit a lot of thing.
By the way.. What is Akonadi? It was installed on Sabayon and also I think it was there on Fedora 12 and OpenSuse 11.2 when I was testing them 1 week ago.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 9th, 2009, 05:29 PM
By the way.. What is Akonadi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi