PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Getting to windows files from Ubuntu

grifan526
December 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
After using Xubuntu for a while I realized the only thing I don't like is I don't have any of my files like my pics and music because they are still on Windows. So I was wondering what the easiest way to access those files would be, can I do directly to them or do I need to set up another partition, and if so how should I format it?

t0p
December 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
When you go into your file manager, isn't your Windows partition listed there? When I used to dual boot Ubuntu and XP, I could directly access the Windows partition through the file manager - under 'Places' in Nautilus (the Ubuntu file manager), I don't know what the equivalent is in Xubuntu... but the partition should be visible.

Marvin666
December 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
With a few packages, you should be able to mount the partition. I assume it's ntfs.
I don't know them off the top of my head, but it shouldn't be too hard to find them.

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
ntfs support has been default in Ubuntu for quite some time now. No extra packages needed, just mount the Windows drive and start using it.

The_Pirate_King
December 8th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Under the "Places" menu you should see your windows partition, you can open it and navigate to your files.
If, for some reason, you cannot mount the partition, you can always transfer your files to a CD, DVD, or USB and put them on Linux that way.

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The the Windows partition is not showing up under the "Places" menu, we can still walk you through how to discover which partition contains Windows, and how to make it mount.

physeetcosmo
December 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM
... can I do directly to them or do I need to set up another partition, and if so how should I format it?...

grifan526-

This begs a vital question: is the drive/partition you want to mount ON the Xubuntu machine, or is it on another remote machine?

Ubuntu can access NTFS drives natively without conversion (that I know of anyway), I frequently access my LOCAL NTFS drives on my Dual-Boot server.

For local drives: you can access the partition by simply clicking the "drive Icon" when you open up a file navigator window. The drives and your folder links are listed in the left-column.

llamabr
December 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
To simplify the process, install:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:55 PM
If ntfs is already supported for him (which it has been out-of-box for quite some time, now) then ntfs-config will only make his life more difficult.

grifan526
December 9th, 2009, 01:29 AM
yea it the Windows partition is not showing up in my places directory, so how do I go about changing that?

rednano12
December 9th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Paste the output of this command:

sudo fdisk -l

grifan526
December 9th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Here is the out put for sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x7f41eb71

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 863 6928384 27 Unknown
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 * 863 11602 86262860 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 11603 14593 24025207+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 11603 14463 22980951 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 14464 14593 1044193+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Locke_99GS
December 9th, 2009, 03:06 AM
sudo mkdir /mnt/Windows
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/Windows

ls /mnt/Windows

You can navigate to /mnt in Nautilus, and drag the Windows folder to the bottom of the laft-pane to create a bookmark for it so that it will show up in your "Places" menu.

If you want it to mount automagically at boot, let us know, and we'll show you how to add an fstab entry.

grifan526
December 9th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Awesome, that worked thanks.

JKyleOKC
December 9th, 2009, 03:30 AM
You can navigate to /mnt in Nautilus, and drag the Windows folder to the bottom of the laft-pane to create a bookmark for it so that it will show up in your "Places" menu.The original poster seems to be using Xubuntu, which has Thunar as its file manager rather than Nautilus. I also use Xubuntu, and found that installing pysdm, through Synaptic, provided a total and very simple solution.

After installing pysdm, run it (it will be in the Applications menu's System category as Storage Device Manager), and expand the tree of drives in its left pane. Highlight the desired partition and click it; you'll see a message saying it has not been configured and asking if you want to do so. Click the Yes button, then click the Assistant button in the right pane to choose your options (I've found that the defaults are good, and also that they can be changed later if you need to do so). The most important, to me, is whether to mount at boot time or not.

Finally, click the Mount button in the right pane. You can then close pysdm, navigate to /media, and open the mounted drive. To put it on your Places menu, highlight the drive name in /media and drag it to the lower half of the left pane in the File Manager window. This establishes a shortcut. You can then rename the shortcut to something like WIN_C if you dislike the rather cryptic SDB1 or whatever partition name.

Hope this helps!

TinSoldier
December 9th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Heres another file problem..

I have access to my windows drive files using file browser..

But under my firefox twitter (echofon, formerly "twitterfox") client, im trying to load a custom botification sound file.

Some .wav files show on my source drive but not all files, in particular the sound files i want, which i can see and play with the normal file browser.

So why are some of my files (show hidden checked) hidden ??? in firefox (twitter) file browsing process but not ubuntu's file browsing process ????

How do a access all my files ???

PS also how do i remove / add the default login for ubuntu so it just starts with out having to log-in every boot..??

Locke_99GS
December 9th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I'm unsure about Echofon and Mozilla, but your second point (logging in automatically) run
gdmsetup and tell it to log you in automatically.

TinSoldier
December 11th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I'm unsure about Echofon and Mozilla, but your second point (logging in automatically) run
gdmsetup and tell it to log you in automatically.

thankyou