PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2 Minor Desktop Quirks

ovid9
December 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'm running Hardy 8.04 on my computer. Not too long ago i built a new machine (yay) and reinstalled 8.04. Since then, there have been a couple of minor differences from my old install that I don't quite understand.

1. On my old computer I could drag windows from 1 *complete brain freeze* desktop to another so that the edge could be seen on another if I hadn't completely dragged it to the 2nd desktop. Now, its either on desktop 1 or desktop 2. Not a big deal, but I don't recall ever turning on such an option previously.

2. I have 2 users set up on my machine. On my main (admin) user, when I open Pidgin, it creates an icon on the menu bar and I can minimize it completely to there. On my 2nd user, it doesn't create an icon, and only minimizes to the bottom bar still taking up space down there.

I poked around for options, but didn't come across anything. I'm sure there is a simple fix I've missed.

Thanks.

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 10:12 PM
1) Enable compiz

2) There is an option in Pidgin's setting somewhere. (I'm not at home right now, or I'd direct you right to it) I had the same issue on the laptop, and found it. It's something along the lines of "Show in Tray" or something of that sort.

Locke_99GS
December 8th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Ok:

Pidgin / Tools / Preferences / Interface

Where is says "Show System Tray Icon", set it to "Always" and it should function as you expect.

ovid9
December 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Ah! I will try that as soon as I get home! Thanks. Like I said, it wasn't a huge deal, just one of those "huh?" things.

Thanks!