PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] OOo mail merge, reuse of old files, how?

laidback
December 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Last year I created two files for my Christmas card list, the database in Calc and the document/label master in Writer. With mail merge I managed to print all the labels for my Christmas cards. I've gone back to it this year to update the database and reprint my labels. Can I get Writer to acknowledge the calc file, update and print, not likely. I'm totally confused.

When I open the writer file it asks whether I want to update the links, naturally I say yes. But nothing appears to happen. I have a Synchronise Labels button, press it and nothing happens.

I seem to remember a special toolbar for mailmerge but I cannot find that either.

I've upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04 since last year.

Many thanks

laidback
December 10th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Bump

Does anyone have any experience with OOo mailmerge to labels (3x7). I've tried 'till I'm screaming at the wretched thing to repeat last years printing...all to no avail. I refuse to recreate the master document again, surely that isn't necessary.

I'm at the point of writing them by hand, I cannot believe that Linux is about to let me dowm.

laidback
December 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Repeat of above...I can't even get this right today..ahhh!

laidback
December 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Well I've found a solution. Moved to Glabels but I suggest that you don't use the version that's in the repositories but get v2.2.5 or 2.2.6 from:-

http://sourceforge.net/projects/glabels/files/

I'm using 2.2.5 with Ubuntu 9.04 which appears to work for me, certainly far better than the one in the repositories. When you download check that you get gLabels and gLabels-data, you need both. Use the installer on gLabels-data first, then gLabels, otherwisw you'll get a dependency error.

I didn't notice v2.2.6 when I downloaded, but I would have used that if it had been available at the time.

I'm hoping that this info will be useful to someone else.

Files for v2.2.5 here:-

http://old.getdeb.net/release/4336

Kindest Regards

Laidback