PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual screen 1 discreet 1 igp

farkinid
December 8th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hi guys. 2nd day on Ubuntu and I've already posted twice. I hope this isn't a trend.

So, my issue now is that I have an Asus m4A785G-m pro motherboard with a built in HD Radeon 4200. I also have a discreet graphic card, HD Radeon 4830. My 24" Acer is run by the discreet card but I also have a 17" hooked up to the internal graphics processor.

The question here is, how am I supposed to extend my desktop? Currently my 17" is blank and my 24" is in use perfectly. I kinda like and miss my dual screen.

diablo75
December 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Well my suggestion would be to make sure you have the drivers for your ATI card installed. These can usually be found and enabled by going to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers (I think). Then you just check the box off next to the driver and click enable. You'll have to restart for the changes to take effect.

Once that's done Ubuntu should see the card, then see that there is a monitor attached, and I believe it will automatically attempt to extend out onto the second monitor all upon the next boot. If it doesn't, then you can go into your Display settings to modify things, which should be in System>Administration>Display (could be System>Preference>Display, I'm not at my computer at the moment).

diablo75
December 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
One last thing: This might not work. I've seen motherboards that are limited to displaying video on either the on-board adapter, or the adapter in the expansion slot, but not both at the same time. Just mentioning that.